Tour De France 2019

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, May 22, 2019.

1. DamianP

DamianP Member

For sure!

2. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Really looking forward to see how long JA can hold on to yellow! Really happy for Ewan and his performance yesterday. Going to track the live feed today while at work and watch the DVR tonight. TDF= My favorite time of year!

rhinocaster likes this.
  3. niersbach

niersbach Member

Which live feed are you hitting?? I have been DVR and watch at lunch...but would LOVE a live feed!! LOLZ Last year I was able to watch on PC, but this year they are charging for it as far as I can tell...

4. vanderkalin

vanderkalin Member

Because 7 tour wins is the best record in history. So I just assumed you were talking about the doping. If not, I don’t know what else to say

5. skhan007

6. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

For all of the GC candidates, todays stage was a letdown - no-one attacked. Consensus was they were saving their legs for tomorrows individual time trial.

I did enjoy the 3 horse race for the stage win. Its always exciting when no-one has a clue who has the best sprint finish among those contending for a Tour De France stage win.

greyhound likes this.
  7. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I was surprised about this too. Excited to see how tomorrow shakes out. Thomas should take time out of the other GC boys.

8. skhan007

Did you guys see the injury to the Bora assistant who was trying to deliver a water bottle? Nearly hit by Greg Van Avermaet, fell backwards and bounced his head off the asphalt! Brutal.

9. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

ooof. Didn't catch that.

10. s2y

s2y Member

I was also surprised how calm the contenders were today. I had to fast forward most of the stage due to my crappy work hours and missed a lot of it.

11. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Today is a day for Wout van Aert I'm thinking. That kid is strong as hell.

12. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

WvAs crash looks horrific.

13. traviswalk

traviswalk In the Great State Gold Supporting Member

That was really nasty, not a typical collarbone but his legs were going a lot of different directions.

14. bagpipe

bagpipe Member

Is Alaphillipe a known talent in the time trial? I wasn't expecting that kind of result from him. I guess Ineos will now have to put him to the sword in the upcoming mountain stages.

15. niersbach

niersbach Member

Today the last hour was awesome!! Crazy Tour with the fact there were no true mountains in the first 13 days to allow the GC contenders to establish a lead and then just mark people!! Tomorrow will be EXTREMELY interesting! They keep saying the next day is when Alaphillipe loses the jersey but he just keeps getting better and better!! Tomorrow is going to be a BIG day. THe last 20 km tomorrow are straight up and will set the stage for the rest of the tour. If Alaphillipe is there with the main contenders at the very end, you will see Teams start to unravel...

bagpipe likes this.
  16. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Very very tough. It scares me that they were so quick to cover him up with the banner. I think he suffered some serious damage.

17. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

No he's not, but he is a punchy climber and took some major descending risks. Still I get nervous when I see so many skinny GC riders that high up in TTs. It doesn't smell right. Time will tell and at least its entertaining.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    bagpipe likes this.
  18. Neverwhere

Neverwhere Member

Alaphillipe up an insanely steep kicker...
    I'm sorry to throw a bit of shade on this thread but I'm thinking The Clinic might have something actually legit to moan about here...thats easily over 1000w pumped out there with that sort of speed even for a rider that weighs 137lbs...after over 30 minutes of TTing. ..and I'm getting some tin foil hat ideas of my own I won't care to share.
    WvA had a cut in his quad that was operated on according to Jumbo twitter, it seems bad but not completely horrible.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    dsmc80 likes this.
  19. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

Hope its not terrible. WvA is a class rider.

I would love to see that power file. The 2017 tour ended with a shorter time trial in Marseille (23k) and Rigo averaged 379 watts with a normalized power of 389 watts for 29 minutes. Ala has always shown class descending skill and great punch, but on the big climbs he's never been there with the guys pushing 6 w/kg. He definitely did that today. That was a ridiculous ride.

20. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

And taking in to account the VAM values we saw at le Planche (and lessening them) we should expect the Tourmalet to be around 52 minutes. If he can hang in with others over that duration my eyes are going to get big. Its not that I don't think riders can't naturally hit VAMs or 1800+, but we better not see that tomorrow for that duration.