• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Touring the UK - obtaining gear?

alexkerns

I'm looking for better ideas for touring Europe. I'm going to be touring the UK for a couple weeks and I'm looking for a good way to line up gear because we won't be touring with another band this time around. We plan to arrange borrowing cabs each night before go on the tour, but we want to have consistent guitar heads so we're not playing on something we're unfamiliar with each night. Renting good equipment along with a van could be very costly. A couple options that I'm currently considering:

1. We buy a used guitar amp and sell it at the end of the tour to a used gear shop. Probably would lose a little cash, but may be cheaper than renting that amp?

2. We bring or ship an amp (and use an electrical converter) from the US and then sell it to a used gear shop in the UK at the end of the tour. Maybe we'll even make a little money off of doing that. We could even contact some gear shops ahead of time and see what they would give us for a certain amp that we can get here in the states easily.

I'm interested to hear anybodies ideas. Thanks!

rnm14

I would buy a POD X3 Live and bring it along. Before you despise the idea check out Lincoln Brewsters setup. A small guitar amp would be nice for stage monitoring reasons, but that could be any rental amp and is not necessary because of the direct outs feeding the P.A.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkT4tLiH32M

johnh

Bring your pedal board and learn to love the Crate Powerblock?

Alternatively, there should be a reasonable selection of used heads in a decent sized English guitar store. Buy one of those and you could probably sell it back for mush the same as you bought it for.

Nelly

Alternatively, there should be a reasonable selection of used heads in a decent sized English guitar store. Buy one of those and you could probably sell it back for mush the same as you bought it for.
I'm guessing you will be flying into London, I can't think of any shops with decent used heads in stock. I also don't know of any shop that would buy back gear for anything near what you paid for it.

Bringing an amp over will cost a fortune in excess baggage, and you will have a very hard time selling it if it needs a transformer for European voltages. Unless you bring a cool vintage amp I wouldn't bother.

To rent a Mesa Dual Rectifier for two weeks would be less than £300 from a London hire company, cheaper if you use a hire company elsewhere. Unfortunately it's the only practical solution I can think of.

Where are you playing in the UK?

TommyMambo

I'm looking for better ideas for touring Europe. I'm going to be touring the UK for a couple weeks and I'm looking for a good way to line up gear because we won't be touring with another band this time around. We plan to arrange borrowing cabs each night before go on the tour, but we want to have consistent guitar heads so we're not playing on something we're unfamiliar with each night. Renting good equipment along with a van could be very costly. A couple options that I'm currently considering:

1. We buy a used guitar amp and sell it at the end of the tour to a used gear shop. Probably would lose a little cash, but may be cheaper than renting that amp?

2. We bring or ship an amp (and use an electrical converter) from the US and then sell it to a used gear shop in the UK at the end of the tour. Maybe we'll even make a little money off of doing that. We could even contact some gear shops ahead of time and see what they would give us for a certain amp that we can get here in the states easily.

I'm interested to hear anybodies ideas. Thanks!
Try Paul Goodhand-Tait - great guy...http://www.ampaholics.co.uk/

alexkerns

I'm guessing you will be flying into London, I can't think of any shops with decent used heads in stock. I also don't know of any shop that would buy back gear for anything near what you paid for it.

Bringing an amp over will cost a fortune in excess baggage, and you will have a very hard time selling it if it needs a transformer for European voltages. Unless you bring a cool vintage amp I wouldn't bother.

To rent a Mesa Dual Rectifier for two weeks would be less than £300 from a London hire company, cheaper if you use a hire company elsewhere. Unfortunately it's the only practical solution I can think of.

Where are you playing in the UK?
We're playing 13 shows in the UK in June. We almost have all the shows confirmed but the places I know that we're going to play are London, Manchester, Leeds, Glasgow, Exeter, Brighton, Southampton, Kingston, Middlesborough, Swansea, and that's what I have off the top of my head.

Here are some links to our music:
www.myspace.com/lemuria
www.lemuriapop.com

We generally use a vintage tube amp sound. When we tour in the states our guitarist brings 2 amps with her, one is a Garnet (made in Windsor, Canada) and she actually has the exact amp, and i'm not just talking about the same model, THE amp that The Guess Who used on their album with the song American Woman. It creates great warm, but cutting tones. She also uses a MusicMan (I forget the the model).

Tubes are a must. Thanks for your help!

Trending Topics