Toyota FJ Cruiser discontinued...should I sell mine now?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by VaughnC, May 10, 2016.

1. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Ok car guys...what's you thoughts?

I bought a new Toyota FJ Cruiser in 2012 and am considering selling it as I no longer really need two vehicles...but it does come in handy in the winter months. However, now that the FJ Cruiser has been discontinued, how do I figure when would be the best time to sell it if I decide to? It currently has less than 10k miles on it. So, if I wait a couple years, does the used price follow the demand or would I be better off trying to sell it before I break 10K miles? Or does the used value on a vehicle come down every year no matter the demand? I'm not sure how the car market works when a vehicle gets discontinued. Are cars similar to collectables in that regard when there are only so many available?

2. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Depends what you want from it. Long-term practicality or money in the near-future/present?

All Toyotas my in-laws bought have always lasted about 15 years without any trouble. My wife bought our Toyota in 2007 and it's shown zero issues.

You could buy something else with the money you'd get selling yours but would it be as reliable? Would it make any sense selling what is a 4-year old vehicle for something that might be older or have more wear and thus possibly exhibit issues quicker and/or more often?

3. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

The resale value of FJ's went thru the roof when they were discontinued. One of the highest resale values of all vehicles lately. Peek in on the FJ forum and see how fanatical some folks are about these (I'm xjojox over there too, with the same guitar avatar, LOL). I got $15k in TRADE for my '07 with almost 100k miles, from a dealer, towards a newer 2011 Trail Team Edition with a bunch of custom stuff on it.

You would get a good penny for it now, and probably also for the next few years. Although the hysteria might die down, hard to predict.

If you can live with another vehicle like a jeep or a four runner, you can do well right now. Me, I love my FJ and I don't want to part with it because there really isn't anything out there I like better for a reasonably compact 4x4. If it had a bit more low-end torque and more comfortable seats... I'd keep it even longer LOL.

JMC likes this.
  4. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

I don't know when the best time to sell would be, but I've seen FJ Cruisers older and with more miles than yours selling for 30K plus on lots.

5. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I won't be replacing it as I have another vehicle and don't really need two. Just trying to decide if I would lose much if I waited a couple years to sell. The FJ just comes in so handy if we have a nasty winter as I live in a rural area...but we haven't had a nasty one in a while that my RAV4 couldn't get through. I love my FJ though...but it's my boy toy more than anything ;)

6. Stratonator

Stratonator Member

Cars depreciate over time and it's more likely (from statistical POV) you'll run into a costly repair if you wait too long anyway. If you have only the intention of pocketing the money, I suggest you part ways with it and do with the money what will bring you more joy, especially with more frequent use.

7. Probos

Probos Supporting Member

Man - RAV4 or FJ. If I owned both that RAV4 wouldn't get a lot of my attention.

sanrico likes this.
  8. Blues Power

Blues Power Member

who cares if it was discontinued. if you have a good one keep it.

parts will be available for a good 15 or more years and most mechanical will most likely interchange with something else in the line.

if Gibson discontinued an LP model would it matter any more or less if you had the one they don't make any more

firebird1999us likes this.
  9. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I don't see it going up in value from where it is today, though it might not drop much, my guess is with every year you stand to loose at 500-1000 resale, assuming it does not accumulate a lot of miles. So you have to decide if it is worth having for what amounts to 40-80 bucks a month.

10. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

I would sell it now.

11. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

Weren't they discontinued three years ago?

12. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

Look up the ones with rusted frames that break in half. I'd sell now. :cool:

13. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Just buy a Jeep like you should have in the first place! ;)

14. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

Cars do generally depreciate but the FJ, along with those last of the air-cooled 911s and the first BMW 1 series M (along with a few others) don't fit that general model. These cars appreciated pretty much from the get go, and especially the low mileage ones (like the OPs FJ). I suspect the Cayman GT4s will also appreciate.

Now, the question the OP is asking is will they continue to appreciate, and, if so, at a rate high enough to make it worth holding onto longer. That would require predicting the future. While I'm generally terrible at predicting the future, unless there is a real need to get he cash now, I'd hold onto it.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

If you really have no big need for it yourself, sell it now not later.

You're in PA and that brine they're using now is killer bad, IMO. Unless you are certain it was never driven on treated roads, ever, by anyone, you can't know what may be happening - although this rusted frame stuff was not FJs but a totally different model - no connection whatsover.

We see vehicles go up nicely sometimes after being discontinued then gradually get forgotten. I remember people asking for $ 45K for refurbed low mileage Jeep (Kaiser) Grand Wagoneers, but soon enough people didn't want them anymore.

If you were in Nevada or South Carolina, I would say hang on to it. I've sought out and bought used cars in Pennsylvania but I am the exception - if you saw how little I paid for that Pennsylvania car with just 52,000 mi on it, you'd see what I mean.

16. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

I have a 2011 FJ- it's a show car- 8,000 miles- I have about 30,000.00 in mods. It continues to win best in class at car shows. You know who loves them the most? Women. The FJ has a cult following- there is a current discussion on the FJ forum right now on the high price of FJ's. My gut feel is: Sell two years from now.

17. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

For sure- Barbie and Ken would buy that jeep! Two years from now it will be worth a fourth of what you paid! Some people need to suffer- go for it!

MustardCap likes this.
  18. hank

hank Member

............ugh, a Chrysler product.

MustardCap likes this.
  19. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Yeah, well that's a big crock of bs. Where did you get that info? My 2006 Tacoma was recalled for frame rust- had a dime sized hole in the frame- Toyota replaced the whole frame at no cost to me. You are full of shite on frame issues with the F J- troll somewhere else.

lestera34 and MustardCap like this.
  20. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

My, aren't you a pleasant little guttersnipe.

Try a Google search for, eg, "Toyota FJ Cruiser rust issues" and you'll be more informed.

Try this just for example, but don't choke on your specious troll-baiting nonsense:

- http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/picture-media-post/138133-rust-pictures-post-em-here.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/newbie-discussions/161170-rust-still-fj-issue.html

http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/foru...carriage-rust-perforations-advice-needed.html

I believe I've also seen pics of flexed and broken frames, snowflake. Perhaps not as bad as Tacomas or Tundras, but the rust complaints and evidence are there.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    noctilux1 and Lution like this.