Toyota vs. Ford?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by sanrico, Nov 12, 2018.

1. mrotenberry

mrotenberry Member

My son has a 4Runner with over 200,000+ miles and still runs great. That being said, I bought used 2012 F150 V6 3.5L Eco as a 3rd vehicle just for towing. Its not a daily driver. The 2011-2015 (mostly 2011-2012) 3.5L Eco engine had a timing chain stretch problem that I experienced first hand. Luckily the dealer stepped up to fix it. Bad rattle in the morning. This has been worked out in later generations.

I have no experience driving Toyota SUVs. But if you want to haul a trailer, keep your family safe, and feel relaxed towing, its a no brainer to me. The cons would be the F150 is large as a daily driver.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  2. BarneyFife

BarneyFife Member

I have had a couple of 4 runners including a 2017 SR5 4x4. They are very easy to live with, hold up well and keep their value, but have some weaknesses like Handling is clumsy, When hard braking be prepared for a bad nose dive, mileage is not so good.

Had a couple of the Ford F-150s as well. One was a 4x4 Crew Cab with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Awesome truck but it was just too big for me. Then I got a single cab 2wd with the 2.7 Ecoboost. Loved the engine but the ride was awful.

Now I have a 2018 single cab 2wd Ram 1500 Sport. 5.7 hemi, rides great and is the right size.

3. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

If you get the 4Runner, make sure you get the TuRD package. :D

4. Jerry G

Jerry G Member

I am sure brand new they both drive great, but which one would give you years of trouble free service and have good resale?

That is why the majority will pick Toyota.

5. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

I've had several of both and like I said, much better luck with Ford. YMMV.

Rango likes this.
  6. Hugh_s

Hugh_s Member

Personally, I won't buy an underpowered gas hog. They're frustrating to drive when you just want to get around a big semi on the interstate or merge into traffic and pumping gas more than once a week is annoying. The 4 Runner is a great machine in many aspects, but that low power/high fuel consumption thing is an absolute deal breaker.

I ditched a Chevy Silverado in favor of a Toyota Rav4 and the Rav4 is far more useful in day-to-day life. It is cheaper to own, cheaper to operate, quicker, faster, zero maintenance issues and easier to manage for parking. I do not miss that truck and on the off occasion I need to haul stuff in a truck bed I could spend $25 at U-haul or home depot or borrow a truck from someone. As far as off-road goes, I'm not mudding in anything. It is more than capable of dealing with any legal forest service roads and some less severe jeep trails. If I needed a larger interior space, I would probably buy a Highlander, and would probably buy the hybrid.

If I regularly towed a >3500 lb trailer, my calculus would certainly be different.

Hamer95USA and Simon like this.
  7. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I owned a 98 Rav that I sold with 275k on it. The Rav was 17yrs old and had the original exhaust/muffler.

I think the bottom line is that cars are made so much better today. I currently own a 2004 Avalon and a 2006 4Runner, neither has rust, and I live in Michigan.

When I was a kid 4 cylinders went about 60k and needed rebuilding, now cars are much more reliable,, so Ford or Toy are going to be nice. You can buy a 10yr old Toyota and drive it for years! I'm not sure about a 10yr old Ford because I haven't owned one in a long time. Used to be cars didn't even last 10 years.
    After 10yrs You might have a bit more rust on the Ford, depending on where you live, and the Toy will have a bit better resale value, but both should get the job done.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    jpervin likes this.
  8. jpervin

jpervin Supporting Member

I own a ‘05 Camry and a ‘07 Highlander. Both over 160k miles and both going strong. No rust on either one here in SE Pennsylvania.

Hamer95USA likes this.
  9. Tony Foran

I love those reg cab Rams.

Simon likes this.
  10. pbmw

pbmw Member

I got in an accident a while ago and my car is in the shop getting fixed. I rented a 2018 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost with a 10spd auto.
    Now, I'm not a Ford fan. At all. But this is a nice truck. I don't know about rating it 12.5k for towing though. It's a half ton truck. I've towed WAY too many heavy loads to believe this at all. Suspension and brakes, in my opinion, aren't up to the task to tow safely.
    But if I wanted a truck to go camping, tote motorcycles, yada yada...it's a nice truck.
    I can certainly see why they sell so many of them

11. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

My wife had a new deluxe Diesel Ram to pull her horse trailer in MI. The body on that thing just rotted away at a rapid pace. The killer Cummins engine means nothing if you have a prematurely rusted out body.
    We both agreed we'd never buy another Dodge product after being burned like that.

12. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

First
    On
    Race
    Day

13. Mangy71

Mangy71 Member

What year was the Ram that rusted out so badly?

Simon and pbmw like this.
  14. Tony Foran

I guess I meant the idea of a reg cab with the short box and a Hemi !

[​IMG]

Mangy71 likes this.
  15. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

Long thread. True trucks are different. Big 'uns, vs. medium 'uns, vs. small 'uns. You know whch one Al Bundy would choose - a Plymouth or Dodge.

Toyota.

16. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a 98 with 340k on it. Not a single spot of rust. And I live just west of Seattle. Everything rusts here

Simon likes this.
  17. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

I want to say it was a 2001 and We bought it new.
    Never again!!
    I was mistaken, it was a 2004.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  18. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Must have been a good day when yours was built.
    Around here you can drive down the road a see those rust buckets all over the place.

19. eclecto-acoustic

eclecto-acoustic Member

Using
    Acronyms
    To
    Determine
    Purchasing
    Decisions
    Is
    Ill
    Advised

UATDPDIIA.

Words to live by.

sanrico and Mangy71 like this.
  20. fjblair

fjblair Silver Supporting Member

But some other guy said his rotted off the frame!