toys for my birthday.....ac30 heritage content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by mcdes, Jan 16, 2008.

1. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

of course, i had to buy them for myself, but hey... i got a deluxe tele which looks and plays real nice, its not setup great from fender so its off getting setup properly. but the main news, i just got the new ac30 heritage head version to replace my ac30 custom classic.

god i cant tell you how much i love this amp! the top boost channel has more clarity but is harder to work without a master volume. but the main thing that blew me away.... the channel one with ef86!! wow! the clean is just on a whole nother level from anything i've heard before! it is big, clear, has clarity, smooth, just everything. and i haven't even changed the stock sovtek tubes yet! friggin crazy!!

then i put an ac booster through same channel, thought i'd been caught up in the rapture and was in heaven!! seriously! this amp may be missing the tremolo and reverb, but hey, nice and simple amp, and you can get some great pedals anyway.

in top boost channel, you can set it to either 30watts or 15 watts, in the ef86 clean channel, its 30watts, 15watts or 7.5watts, real versitile specially if you play different sized venues all the time!

sorry im rambling now, im still in honeymoon (only got it today).

any way, if you get a chance, give it a go!!
    :AOK

2. hamfist

hamfist Member

I'm just loving my new AC30HH head too ! An attenuator seems absolutely essential for my use though. Even at a moderately loud band rehearsal I could not get any break up out of it without an attenuator, even on the half power setting. Thankfully, it seems to get on very well with my Hotplate - even getting some great sounds out of it with up to 16dB attenuation !
    The EF86 channel is my favourite, but the TB channel is beautiful too. I've just got an ABY pedal yesterday, so I'll have a go at switching and mixing the channels sometime today.
    To be honest I never felt inspired by the AC30CC. I know many folks just love it, but it never inspired me. For me, the addition of the EF86 channel is the clincher. Whata a great, versatile amp ! And the EF86 channel takes pedals just soooo well. I am well pleased at the moment.

Just one correction to the OP's post - the 30W and 15W output modes are global. The EF86 side does not have a 7.5W mode, but it does have a "triode" setting for the EF86, which does reduce gain significantly. It's still either in 15W or 30W mode though.

And just like Mcdes, I'm still on the std tubes. I've got a few nice old 12ax7's to try and a NOS dario-miniwatt EF86. So I might get some time to stick those in today.
    IMO, this amp is an utter bargain. Well worth a look if you are considering an AC30-type amp.

3. hamfist

hamfist Member

Ok, just tried the Dario Miniwatt NOS Ef86 in the amp - oh my word !!! NICE !!! - thoroughly recommended.
    However, a known nice Mullard short plate 12ax7 in V1 of the TB side didn't really add anything to be honest.
    I love the EF86 side. Awesome !!

4. sluhsh

sluhsh Member

I have the VOX AC15 Heritage Head and Cab and I really love it. It sounded so good, I went out and won on ebay an Avatar Traditional 2x12 cab loaded with blues.

How do you decide what tubes to swap out? This is my first real amp.
    I've bought a few since (Lonestar Special, a Risson, a couple Fender Champions and a couple 5 watt Epi heads.

Maybe swappin tubes would have been cheaper:roll

Enjoy your 30.

5. mcdes

depends, say like me, im probably only gonna use the ef86 channel and put pedals on it, but use the awesome clean as well of course, but just replace the tubes relating to that channel only.

ive got a tesla nos ef86 valve coming, good to hear the improvement with the dario miniwatt when it already sounds unreal! ill see what this one sounds like and post next week.

"Enjoy your 30."

OH, thanks, and we will/are!!ha

6. hitch

hitch Member

Congrats! I've had mine for a couple of months and it's sounding better all the time as my speakers break in. I'm also using mainly the EF86 side - but I too am looking for a ABY switcher, so I'm hoping to use the Top Boost side more often. I actually just dropped it off at my amp techs place to have it revalved, I get it back on Monday - he had some Russian military grade NOS valves lying about - I don't know what brand - but I can't imagine how this amp is going to sound better than it does now....we'll see. I may have to try an attenuator as well - I've been wanting to really give my D*A*M Red Rooster a good run for it's money - but it works best when the amp is on the verge of breakup - and man that's loud! This amp really blew the CC out of the water when I AB'ed them - the CC is more versatile though if you are looking for a more features. Congrats again on a great amp.

7. mcdes

i still have the cc and not sure if i wanna sell, but can see it will just sit there for a very long time!

i built two aby switches which were real nice, fitted into a black enclosure the size of an ac booster with full on led's with different colours.... but my mates nicked them, they were too good! ha.

i'll just have to build another coz it would be real cool to try mix the channels and see how it sounds between the ef86 and top boost and mixed.

the only thing i have with top boost is that without a pedal, to get it to break up, its gotta be real loud. tho im still to give the amp a real good blast with pentode/triode switching. gonna spend saturday plugging my pedal board in and giving it a good thrashing.

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

Is there any chance you could ask him how he got the chassis out (I'm assuming it's a head). I can't get mine out of the headshell to access the power tubes. It seems stuck fast, i'm sure there's something else I need to undo before it'll come out, but I just can't find anything else.

9. mcdes

if you check out plexi palace, there is a thread about the cc version and they state about hidden screws by the rubber feet.

are you able to post pic of the open chassis here? would come out bigger and will be nice to have a squiz. wont be opening mine for two weeks, promised a friend id show him stock sound then replace the valves and see the difference!

wonder if i can hold out.......?

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I'm glad you're really happy with the amp. I'm going to take a bit of a contrary opinion here. I've owned and played several (5 AC30s and the AC30HW) vintage voxes and a few other EL84 based amps (Matchless, Watkins, Marshall and others). I've played both the AC15HTV and the AC30HH in the store with a Guild archtop and the 15 a few other times. I do like the fact that you can get the EF86 preamp but I don't think the HW series is head and shoulders above the other AC30s out there. With good (Mullard tubes) the HW is at least as sweet and has the added flexibility of the master volume, reverb and tremelo. All 3 of my current vintage AC30s sound better than the HH and the Brian May I played in Chicago blew it away at $400 less money. It's a good amp, but I just don't think it's $1400 better than the price of a AC30CC 112 or head used. I'd love to have an EF86 preamp tube in one of my vintage Voxes, but for now I'll just run a treble booster into the normal channel...

11. sabbath90

sabbath90 Member

i want one of those amps soooooooo bad.

12. mcdes

hamfist... did yours come with stock sovtek valves or were they something else? tungsols maybe?

13. mcdes

mate, cool pics! i could see tubes but not all the 12ax7's, were they all the same? tungsols? i got jj valve replacements, the long plate ones, so ill have to check and see what sounds best, sovteks would just get replaced!

no wonder the thing is so heavy!

14. hamfist

hamfist Member

The PI was a Tung sol. The other two 12ax7's were Sovteks, as was the rectifier. El84's were Electroharmonix EL84EH's. The EF86 was unidentifiable because it seems like it is heatshrink wrapped with some anti-vibration coat.

15. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I love those Tungsols in an AC30-retubed the one at church with them and it's never sounded better!

16. mcdes

and you replaced with the dario miniwatt, so it doesnt actually need the sleeve or whatever is around the ef86?