trace elliot speedtwin (H50)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by shednz, Sep 24, 2008.

1. shednz

shednz Member

Anyone know anything or got anything to say about these amps??

2. shednz

shednz Member

no-one can help? really appreciate anything that people can be offered. Cheers

3. matte

matte Senior Member

one of my favourite sleeper amps. the 1X12" combo is murder. the switchable master function is killer.

4. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Borrowed one years ago. Loved it, but couldn't round up the money. I think sleeper is a perfect term for these amps.

5. alvagoldbook

alvagoldbook Member

I have long been in love with Trace Elliots. I bought a Trace bass rig (the AH 12 band EQ 300 watt model) with a 2x15 cab. It's absolutely amazing and LOUD LOUD LOUD.

At the time (right before Gibson bought them out), I used to go to the same shop that I got the bass rig, and play the Trace Speed Twins and their other guitar amps. I was always floored by how amazing the tone was.

Very British sounding, but it had more bottom end and clarity, and seemed to sound more grounded than Marshalls do. I actually preferred the tone of a Trace to Marshall, but I didn't have the money back then to buy one. I'm kicking myself for it now. They're gorgeous amps and they sound amazing...at least new in the store they did.

Tone wise, I would say that their dirty channel sounds kinda similar to the Mesa Boogie Roadster or Road King with the "brit" mode engaged. I remember the clean tone being very nice sounding, and it was pretty cool that the amp has a volume boost switch that could get your solos to stand out.

I'm still ticked that when Gibson bought them out they stopped making their guitar amps. And what could be cooler than a GREEN amp?

The only downside I could possibly mention is that I heard a guy say that Trace Elliots were prone to breaking down, but that was just the word of one guy telling me that in a music store, and he was talking about their bass amps. I've never had any problem with my Trace bass amp, so take that for what it's worth.

6. Neill

Neill Member

they rock. tried one in a toronto music store and almost sh1t my pantaloons.

hey matte, didn't david fiuczynski use one of these for awhile? kif? jazzpunk?

7. shednz

shednz Member

cheers all! sounds well worth a go if i can get it 4 a reasonble price