Track syncing issue - Help!

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by pinner, Dec 20, 2009.

1. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Hello,
    When I record on my computer, the tracks do not sync correctly. For example, when I record along with an imported backing track, my playing will be placed a little later. I have to manually change it which is a real pain. I am currently am using Reaper but it the same with two other programs. Not sure how to remedy the problem. I have a HP desktop running Vista 64. Any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. jmoose

jmoose Supporting Member

We need to know more... what interface your using would help a lot & a further explanation of the issue.

Is it that "everything" is late by a fixed amount of time, every time?

Or is it that the recorded material winds up drifting over the course of a tune?

If its the former, likely a latency issue... probably change a setting on the interface to solve it. Might also be in the software, probably both.

With the latter, its a sample rate issue. The interface & the software are running at different clock speeds... or your recording at a different rate then the original tracks. Or both...

Or answer c) ~ All of the above!

3. pinner

Thanks for your help. I have a shure SM58 into a Presonus Tubepre into the mic in of the pc. Delay is consistant everytime and throughout the recording. How would I adjust it to fix the latency issue?

Thanks again!

4. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

It's latency because of your lack of an interface. If you are going to use your computers sound card, you will have a large amount of latency that you will not be able to get rid of. You need a dedicated audio interface.

5. jmoose

jmoose Supporting Member

^^^

Right. You'll need to adjust the latency & buffer size of the interface & that's impossible with the computer card. You may be able to adjust it within the software control panel, but likely you'll need to get a "real" interface.

You should also be using the "line in" rather then mic since your plugging the mic into a preamp. Essentially at the moment its going through two preamps.

6. pinner

My sound cards line in / mic in is the same. Thanks guys, any recommendation for a good but resonable (price) interface. Thanks again for your help.

7. Julia343

Julia343 Member

M-Audio Fast Track Pro. NOTE: you can get M-Powered Pro Tools pretty cheap with it but PT does not work with Vista 64. But the interface is decent.

I don't know if Reaper has Elastic Audio, but you might want to disable that to lower latency since that uses processor capacity.

8. pinner

Thanks! Well I actually found a menu in the preferences of Reaper that calculate latency, and another spot that allows to automaticaly adjust the tracks to that time difference. Works great now. However should I assume the audio quality would be improved by using an interface instead?
    Thanks again!

9. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

It would indeed.