Trade a Peavey Classic 50 for a 70's Bassman 10?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rab1s, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Rab1s

Rab1s Member

Put my Classic 50 on CL just for fun for trade to see what offers I got. One dude offered me a 4x10 Bassman 10. He claimed "its appraised at 4.2 mil." He was of course being ridiculous, but is this a good trade? if I don't like the tone, how much would I be able to turn it around for?

2. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

What config/year is your C50?
    I'm a Peavey convert of late and was surprised at how much I dig the C50's clean channel, after owning several Fender amps. Add in a good overdrive channel and footswitchable reverb and it's a hard recipe to beat.

3. Rab1s

Rab1s Member

2x12 90's. I really dig it too. Just kinda wondering what's out there.

4. garret

garret Member

Depends on the year of the Super but IMO it is not a good trade.

Is it a 50 watt or 70 watt. At least you can mod the older version before the use of the ultra-linear PT.

A friend bought one of the later 70 watt versions. It's at my place right now. It's sounds really nice with a reverb pedal and a strat played clean. I don't think it's a great pedal platform at all. No character at all if you try to overdrive it.

I would not trade.

Just my $0.02

5. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Forgot to throw that in there as a plus for the C50. I've been playing mine straight/no pedals so far, but supposedly it takes dirt boxes very well.

6. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

A 50 watt Bassman Ten with replacement speakers, jumping the channels Marshall style (the channels are in phase unlike many Fenders) and replacing the master volume with a 1 meg resistor (not a lot of reason for these lower gain Fenders to have a master) and putting a variable negative feedback control in it's place can make the amp much more guitar and pedal friendly and toneful. I know this for it's what I did to mine.

As for a trade for the C50? I dunno. The C50 is plug and play for dirt. Both amps weigh the same, but the BTen is taller than a Super and therefore a little more awkward to tote. The sealed 4x10 cab is punchy, like a 7/8 scale half stack.

7. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Depends on what you like. Such different amps. Realistically worth about the same on the used market. Both are big and heavy. The bassman has no bells and whistles, but sounds great if you're using pedals (as you would expect to do with older, high powered fenders). With the added bonus of being hand wired, and most assuredly will rise in value over time. It's a little different than some of the other bassmans of the time. But it's still a bassman. It shouldn't be too hard to figure out if you're looking for an amp like that, or not. But you wouldn't be losing anything, financially, with a trade for a Peavey.

8. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I've had both a Classic 50, and a Bassman Ten. On the surface, they're similar, but I would take the Bassman any day. The Classic 50 is a good amp, but not easily serviceable. If you have problems, it's usually not worth the repair cost to get it fixed. And I have seeen them have problems. On the other hand, the Bassman Ten is fairly indestructable, and easily repairable. I had a 70 watt ultralinear B-10, and found it a great pedal platform. The main issues with these are the stock speakers (originally designed for bass) don't sound great for guitar, and the amp can benefit greatly from changing pre-amp tubes. Put some guitar speakers in a B-10, and change the V1 to a Mullard reissue, and you will have a great sounding amp. The closed back cabinet really projects, and can sound very much like a JTM-45 half-stack. The main drawback to the B-10 is that it's awkward to transport because of the height. Other than that, where else can you find a hand-wired all-tube SF Fender amp for under $500? The Bassman Ten is highly under-rated IMO.

9. Hound Dog61

Hound Dog61 Member

Hard to say if it is worth it, totally depends on what you want. Problem I see with the bassman is people say to upgrade speakers and change a tube or two. That takes the cost up a notch as replacing 4 speakers isn't cheap. I also read that the impedance of the amp makes finding speakers kinda tough. Not sure if that is true so if you are considering it you might want to look into it.

10. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

Nah, you can use 8ohm speakers. Just have to wire them correctly. Also, the stock speakers in Peavey Classics blow.

11. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Classic 50 is better out of the box. The Bassman 10 is a lackluster amp. If you want it as a platform to mod, you can turn it into a fire breathing amp pretty easily and since it is "hand-wired" put it back to sell if you want. Do you want to futz with it?