Trade advice- Peavey for Mesa

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brian Quinlan, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Brian Quinlan

Brian Quinlan Member

I just wanted to get some other peoples opinions out there on this possible trade.

A Peavey 5150 ii for a Mesa Single Rectifier?

Any pros/cons? and is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks

2. mvd18969

mvd18969 Member

Welcome to TGP (fellow Philly guy here as well). Which amp do you currently own?
    I have been a mesa guy since the mid 80s and love them. The only amp that I really didn't care for was the rectifier series. I never played a single but I've played duals and triples. They do that rectifier tone very well if that is what you're looking for. I thought it to be kind of one-dimensional. I also own a 5150 which I think is more versatile than the rec series. They can be a little noisy.

3. Brian Quinlan

Brian Quinlan Member

I own the 5150, and thanks for the reply.

4. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Member

If you're talking 5150 II head, you'd be trading 120W down to 50w. Is that something you want to do?

Depending on your style, the 5150 maybe be more versatile...especailly if you're a metal player.

5. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    Having played both amps I think the Recto is better. Has better tones thru the whole range and is quiet. Test em both out and decide for yourself :)

6. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I think the 5150II is probably the more versatile amp. It's the one I'd want given the choice. However, the Mesa may hold its value better.