Trade advice - Telecaster content

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kiki_90291, Dec 6, 2016.

1. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

I'm trading off my acoustic guitar (permanent shoulder issues aggravated by the arm position for playing acoustic) - I've been offered a trade for a 2003-2004 American Telecaster. Haven't seen it in person yet and will look for the usual issues, but it looks like the pickups have been traded out for EMGs. the owner doesn't know much about the guitar and can't find any batteries. Does EMG make passive pickups for Teles? if not, where would the battery be? (There's no door on the back .) Any other issues to look out for? I read somewhere that you may have to route out a Tele a bit to fit them in.

Any reviews on Teles with EMGs? I'm not a huge fan of the EMGs in my Synapse, but those are humbuckers.

2. FlyingVBlues

FlyingVBlues Gold Supporting Member

EMG’s Tele pickups are active. If there isn’t a compartment in the back of the guitar for a battery it is usually placed in the control compartment. In some cases the control compartment needs to be routed out to increase the size enough to accommodate the battery.

3. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

that's what I figured. I'm guessing this guy is really an acoustic player and got the Tele in trade or something and just hasn't drained the battery yet :)

4. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

Battery life on EMG pick ups is pretty long. I have a 98 Fender American standard tele with them in it. They sound great. I didn't have to route out the control cavity to make the battery fit.