Trade bassman for Princeton FSR?

crazyneddie

Well I have an old 1990 tweed bassman RI. One of the ones with the blue Alnico speakers that folks like. I love this amp except for two things. It's too loud and it has no reverb. It's a beautiful sounding amp indeed but I have contemplated trading it for a nice Princeton. I also have a 1968 Super and I currently don't have a nice small amp. So anyway I offered my Bassman for sale or trade for "the right princeton". So a guy is offering me a trade for a Princeton RI FSR. This is a blue model with a Jensen P10r Alnico speaker in it.
My fear is that this will be pretty bright and possibly ice picky overdriven or with pedals.
Any thoughts on this particular Princeton? I do have some CTS alnico's from the 60's I could swap in if it's too harsh. But not really looking to trade for a problem. Any opinions on this amp will be appreciated!

335guy

I have a PR from '78 that I like a lot. It doesn't have any ice pick going on but I did replace the speaker with a Weber Cali 10. Some have said the new RI's capture the same vibe but I'm not sure. IMHO, I've never been a big fan of Jensen speakers because they seemed to accentuate a Fender amp's scooped mid range, and I do like some mids in my tone. Too bad the guy wasn't offering one with the Celestion G10 Greenback which was offered in the other models of the PR RI FSR.

Value wise, it's close to an even trade. Used '59 Bassman RI's seem sell from $700-1000. Those blue Eminence Alnico's are in demand. And the PR RI FSR's have sold for as little as $500 on Ebay. And that's one with the Celestion G10.

IMHO, I think a PR from the 70's is a better value, and even better if you could get one from the 60's. But the older they are, seems like they're more expensive. The stock speakers in PR's are usually replaced. 70's PR's are getting a bit expensive, with completed Ebay listings going for around $900 and up.

Is there any way to try out the amp 1st? If so, that's what I'd do before deciding.

crazyneddie

Oh I'll certainly try before a trade. I think I will probably want around 150 bucks plus the FSR. I would just hate to have the guy come over and love my bassman ( which he will without question) and me not warm up to his amp and call no deal. Thanks for the input btw. Yeah I actually hoped it was the one with the Celestion gold in it, that would be right up my alley. I agree about the older Princetons but they are priced to the moon!