Trade Custom 22 for McCarty?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Loobster, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Loobster

Loobster Member

Yes/No? I'd like slightly more vintage sounds...does the McCarty have coil tap?

I also would prefer dot inlays to the birds on the Custom.

2. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Yes, the McCarty does have coil tap.
    It may provide more vintage tones.(What type of amp are you using?)
    Do you care to share what the trade offer is regarding who is getting boot and what type of 22 do you have?(list the options)
    Might be able to direct you to a fair deal on the trade.
    Lots of guys around here know the market and will also let you know if it is a fair deal or not.

Somebody may even offer you A McCarty that is more in line(color/condition) on the trade that you are more interested in.

3. Loobster

Loobster Member

Yeah. A friend of mine owns a guitar store that have huge PRS stock and they have a gorgeous mint 2nd-hand McCarty in there right now that I'm sure he'll have no bones trading with me.

I have a Custom 22 with the artist pack. Not a 10 top. Birds, hardtail. Ruby Red finish. I find the birds a bit ostentatious and the pickups a bit brash and hot, they're not that nice for less gained applications.

4. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

You are right about the artists package being a non-ten top.
    They are a 15 top.
    (artists are not marked 10's on the back of the headstock.)
    An even trade would be what I would expect from a dealer...But never with an individual outside a store. They would need to boot you some cash IMO.

5. Loobster

Loobster Member

Yup. He is a fair guy, I can't see why there should be any problem.

6. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    you are right about a McCarty being a more vintage or traditional sounding mahogany/maple capped guitar. The McCarty body will be thicker and give up more lows, but still not all the way in the LP neighborhood. You might try a more vintage voiced pickup set in the guitar you have before you trade it off - but if it's more vintage sound you're after, and you are wanting to pull the trigger it's true that the McCarty will get you much closer than the 22 even with a PU swap. Be aware that a lot of McCarty owners have changed out the stock McCarty pickups. I put a Crossroad neck and a Goodwood bridge in mine for instance and havent looked back - while the McCarty pu's are some of the more vintage voiced PRS units, a lot of people find happiness going one step further down that road. Try a search @ Birds & Moons on that, you'll find a lot of coverage there on PU swaps for PRSi. - Have to agree too, on the even-up swap since you're giving up an Artist top instrument - the dealer should have no trouble moving that off the wall.

7. Loobster

Loobster Member

Thanks. I will go to the store with it and have a play of the McCarty, see what I can find.

8. DavidE

DavidE Member

Your guitar is worth more than a McCarty. That being said, I have Custom 22's and McCartys (some with trems) and they're both great. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but I'd say the CU22 has a more modern tone and a McCarty has a more vintage, Les Paulish, tone. McCarty also has a coil tap. Just pull up the tone knob.