Trade Matchless HC-30 in towards Fuchs ODS?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jtw, Jul 17, 2005.

1. jtw

jtw Member

Ok, so I already have the HC-30. I love it, but never get a chance to use it because it's so loud, and the master volume really isn't all that great. When I want the Class A Vox sort of thing, I have a 2x10 Matchless Lightning and a British Vox AC30 reissue standing by. I really went through a major Class A thing a few years back, can 'ya tell? :)

Anyway, I'm really wanting to get into a Dumble clone, and for the money, the Fuchs really seems to be the way to go. I'll have to trade my HC-30 in for it, but wanted everybody's opinions on the differences between these two. I know they are two totally different beasts.

I guess I need you all to really give me the low-down on why or why not to trade the HC-30 towards a new Fuchs. I know the Fuchs is PC board, which I'm not sure about, but there seem to be nothing but glowing reviews of them.

Go ahead and try to talk me in/out of the trade, I need a fresh perspective :)

Thanks to all in advance

2. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Dont do it!
    They are two TOTALLY different amps!
    I happen to like the Fuchs sound (now) but if you do this, you'll give away one great tonality for another.
    If it were me, I'd keep the Matchless and try to get some extra scratch another way.
    S.
    j

3. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Do it! You already have "Vox" in your collection!

4. TNJ

Well,
    Let me amend myself...sell the AC30 RI, and use that $$ for the Fuchs!
    :D
    S.
    j

5. jtw

jtw Member

man, i've already tried to move the AC30 out, and it just has way too much sentimental value for me. i'll have to keep that one forever. the HC-30 is way, way, cool, no doubt. i just know that in my experience, i've only used it on the 'Lo' power setting on the clean channel, and that's basically what my 2x10 Lightning is, but in a much more manageable package.

see why it's so hard?! thanks for the replies so far fellas :)

6. v-verb

v-verb Supporting Member

Keep the Matchless. I've had 5 c-30's. Everytime I sell or trade it, I miss the amp so I will ALWAYS have a Matchless C-30.

7. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Right.....you can off the HC30 and keep it all at the same time!

Do it! And get the Fuchs! :cool:

8. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've got to agree with the above. The Fuchs is a great amp, but it's a very different animal than your Matchless. Keep the HC30 until more funds are available. In the meantime, keep your eyes peeled for a used Fuchs. They come up for sale often, frequently at a substantial savings over a new one.

9. jtw

jtw Member

thanks for all of the input guys. i'm really trying to find a solution to getting into that quasi-Dumble territory, and am wondering if i should just get one of the Dumble-style pedals (Menatone Howie) and run it through my blackface '65 Bassman. Plus, if I traded the HC-30 for the Fuchs, I'd also probably have to give up my '63 Relic Telecaster, which I'm not so sure I want to do either.

10. Boomer

Boomer Member

I'm not going to suggest you keep or lose the HC-30 except to say that you should not be trading it in ... if you are going to get rid of it. You should selling it outright. You will do much better and probably not have to give up your Relic.

That said, I'm a Fuchs guy and I'd love to have an HC-30. Unfortunately, my financial advisor, if I had one, would be rolling on the floor laughing at the thought.

11. jtw

jtw Member

believe me Boomer, I understand! And you're right, I would do better to sell it to an individual, but I think i've just about decided to hold onto it, and try to do the Dumble thing with a pedal for the time-being.

12. TNJ

My fave Dumble style pedals:
    1)Hermida ZenDrive
    2)Cornish SS2
    3)Barber LTD
    4)Barber Burn Unit
    5)Fulltone FD2
    6)Xotic AC Booster
    7)SOV-1

S.
    j

13. Boomer

Boomer Member

Remember that I love Andy's amp's and I do some work for him so I'm a little biased but I don't want to blow a sale for Andy, so just hang on to the HC-30 until I can swing it and you should order your ODS or TDS immediately! :D I've been Fuchsless for more than a year. A Lucky 7 is due this week followed by a TDS and a Train and I'm extremely excited. The truth is that I haven't picked up a guitar in almost two months partly because of some medical problems and partly because the Two Rock Amethyst Special I have sitting here just isn't making me happy. I expect that to change dramatically over the course of the next month or so as boxes start rolling in!

While the some of the pedals mentioned will get you close to the sound, Andy's amps have become so much more than just a "clone" and so much more versatile than a pedal could ever be that you owe it to yourself to play one and own one.

14. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

My two favorite amps are an AC30HW and now my recently acquired Fuchs ODS30SLX. They complement each other nicely, but cover different territory. If I had to choose, I'd say I could get closer to the ODS tone with the AC30 and a pedal (Tim or Zen)than I could get an AC30 tone out of the ODS. The ODS has a very organic and vocal tone to it though that cannot really be captured totally by a pedal IMHO. If you can't afford the ODS right now, I'd say a good pedal with your AC30 will do until you can swing the real thing.

15. jtw

jtw Member

thanks fullerplast, the longer this thread has gone on, the more sense it makes to me to just buy a pedal of similar voicing as a dumble type thing. i know, i know, a $200 pedal won't get that sound, but it's really the best solution at the moment. i haven't really looked for much info on the zen drive much, but it looks very cool.

16. jtw

jtw Member

oh, and what is the TIM pedal?