Trade my 335 for a PRS

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by billygoat, Feb 21, 2006.

1. billygoat

billygoat Member

Lately I've been kicking around the idea of trading my 335 for a PRS Hollowbody of some sort. I find the 335 really middy, and that it gets drowned out in my 3 guitar band setting.

Usually I play teles and strats.

This guitar is a looker and plays well, I just don't know if the sound is for me.

Somebody talk me down, or tell me about PRS Hollowbodys.

2. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

I just went through this....had a 335 in my mind but everthing in my price range had the 60's neck. I also was looking for something lighter. Lots of import stuff out there but I wanted a pro quality guitar that I could sell easily if i did not like it.
    I really am enjoying the Hollowbody II. The jazz tones are right up there with my Heritage 575 Custom that I sold to get it, plus it has those smoky round treble tones that won't make your ears bleed. Sounds great dirty or clean. I am very pleased with the decision. At 5.2 pounds I can play all night and not feel wasted the next day.
    Plus it's just plain cool looking.
    [​IMG]

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Maybe your looking in the wrong area of your tone chain? What kind of amp are you plaing through? If the 335 plays great I might investigate other avenues before I sold it..........but I love 335's so I am bias. [​IMG]:RoCkIn

4. billygoat

billygoat Member

True bypass crybaby with fulltone pot and inductor->Vintage ts-808->Fulldrive 2->Fulltone Distortion PRo->Boss Ph1r->EB Volume->DE-7-> Mesa Boogie .50 cal + Set clean

I don't think it's in the chain. I like my chain with teles and strats

5. slowburn

slowburn Supporting Member

not having any experience with any of your equipment I'd offer that you plug in 335 thru amp w/no effects. to see if you like that tone, then add 1 effect at a time to see how it changes it. another thing would be are you adjusting the amp's EQ to compensate for how different a 335 sounds compared to strats and teles?

6. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

My guess is it's the 335/.50 cal combination.

It's not unusual for a rig that sounds good with Strats/Teles to sound "not so great" with a 335 or Les Paul. At the very least, you might want to redial the .50 cal to see if you can get a little more clarity out of the 335.

I can tell you (as an owner of both 335s and HBs) that you *will* get more clarity using the Hollowbody. But they are very different guitars. I'd have a hard time trading either one for the other.

I should also note that I recently swapped my Historic 335 for a '76 ES-345; in direct comparison the Historic 335 sounded thick, muddy, and indistinct. (i.e., it may be the guitar itself)

7. billygoat

billygoat Member

Jazzrat....That is just gorgeous. That's what I'm talking about!

Maybe it's the .50 cal, but this guitar doesn't even sound quite right to MY EARS with my Gibson Ga-5 crestline (and that amp loves most guitars).

Here's the other thing. My bridge pickup squeals like crazy under gain. Not metal gain, but say a tubescreamer and a clean boost.

Any ideas on that one? potting?

8. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

What year 335 and what pickups does it have?

9. billygoat

billygoat Member

it's a 93 with a pair of 57 classics in it.

As you can see, it's a beautiful instrument (although that picture makes it look redder than it is). I just haven't fallen in love like I expected. We're not bonding

[​IMG]

10. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

Well if you're not bonding with it definitely try out the Hollowbodies. You won't have to fight up with any squeal either. But then again, I'm biased towards the HB's! :D

[​IMG]

11. DrPCR

DrPCR Member

This is my PRS HB and 3 archtops.

[​IMG]

I really like the archtops, but I found the PRS HB really thin sounding. I play heavy gain stuff, so it was ok with that, I never used it to play Jazz. The ATs were much better although I found the pups a bit too low output. I still say the ATs were better than the HBs but they are discontinued.

I still think the vintage ES 335, 345, 355s are it.

This thing smokes all the PRS hollowbodies that I've owned

72 ES 355, it can do anything. I go from jazz, blues to high gain, killer. I sold a 74 ES 345, and I really regret it, I hope I can find one again like it! I tried alot of historic 335s and 355s and they just didn't have the mojo the vintage pieces had, so I would say if you find a good vintage Gibson, buy it!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

hey you in toronto? the 12 fret is an ok store, prices are a bit inflated. Go for an ES 355 like your toronto buddy, ALEX LIFESON :)

12. gixxerrock

gixxerrock Member

I recently went on a search for a 335 style guitar and ended up with a HBII. I love it! It sounds amazing through a bunch of different rigs and different styles from rock cover band to jazz to heavy stuff. It is definitely a different animal than a 335 (which can also be a beautiful instrument). Some of the differences: solid wood as oposed to laminate, hollow, lighter, more bright, more high end, and balanced. I hear some 335s can be magical, but I never felt that way about any I played. Then again I never played one long enough to bond with. I was trying to cop some BB King licks, and while I could come close, I felt my hands/guitar/amp would not achieve his tone.

I have not played one, but you might also want to consider a Gibson Johnny A. It shares more construction similarities with the PRS than the 335. All I can advise is to try a few. You will either be blown away, or you will not.

Shawn.

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Had both. Good as the PRS is, it still doesn't have that 335 sound, not really close, IMO. The PRS is quite a guitar, and has its own unique character in spades...but it's not a 335.

14. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Member

Sell me the 335!!

15. Mongoose

Mongoose Member

If that was your Guitar in the Pics By the serial # it would be A 97 not a 93
    1st & 5th Correct?

I have had A few 335's over the year And even more 330's. They all sounded very diffrent. Sometimes Some 335's Are almost too harmonicly Rich And they Get all the weird overtones(big mid humps ect.) and Sometimes they are Just pure tone. Maybe yours is not The one for you ears.

I would say try Go with The PRS if you are into that sort of thing.

If you are in a 3 Guitar Band what sounds great on its own May not fit into the mix. The 335's are Big Guitars That take up quite a bit of Sonic territory. maybe you need something more precise.

My .02

16. billygoat

billygoat Member

Oh, i assumed it was the first 2 digits. I got this at the 12th fret, and I basically stole it. It was a great deal. I think the focused nature of a tele really does it in this band, and less so, my strat....however, if this guitar is just going to sit under my bed (i can't bring myself to leave the 335 on a stand) maybe I should find a more focused hollowbody. Can someone compare/contrast the HB I and HB Spruce (I think the HB II is out of my price range) These things seem to be as rare as hens teeth to play around here, and the only ones they have are 10-tops with the flying chickens.

I'm a little more conservative. Say Antique Violin with dots.

nik

17. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

I have both an HBI and an HB Spruce.

The HBI is more focused and will cut through a band better. For my taste, the spruce has a better overall tone -- it's my favorite guitar for playing alone at home -- but in a band situation I think the HBI works better.

(I also think the HBII is the least attractive sounding of the three, which is why I don't have one)

One caveat about the HBs: the bridge pickup can sound somewhat anemic. A lot of HB fans replace it. (sometimes both pickups)

Those birds aren't chickens, btw.

Starting from the nut the birds are:
    • Peregrine falcon
    • Marsh hawk
    • Ruby throated hummingbird
    • Common tern
    • Coopers hawk
    • Kite
    • Sparrow landing
    • Storm petrel
    • Hawk landing
    • Screech owl on a branch (24-fret models only)
    (quoted from FAQs on PRS website)

18. billygoat

billygoat Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend any PRS fans, I think the bird inlays are very nice, and I likened them to the Screaming Chicken on the hood of a firebird. A classic identifier.

I don't mind anemic pickups, as I've never really played humbuckers before. My other hollowbody is a 64-ish Epiphone Granada (like an es-120) with a sweet little single coil at the neck. I really like that pickup too.

Maybe I just like single coils more than humbuckers. Perhaps I should keep the 335 and get splittable humbuckers, or HB sized P90's

19. Roe

Roe Member

the fulldrive 2 (and tubescreamers) often sounds better with strats than with 335s. try 18volts and the uncompressed mode on the fulldrive. turn up the presence. With the dist pro you'll also need a brighter setting.

On your amp: go very easy on the bass knob. try a brighter sound.
    on your guitar: adjust your polescrews for a brigher wound string sound (se my earlier post on this)