Trade my american strat for standard SG.. thoguhts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by 30secs, Mar 3, 2012.

1. 30secs

30secs Member

Got an offer to trade my strat for an SG.. what do you guys think? my LP is my favorite guitar.. love the tone, inlays, frets... but an american strat is a classic... chime in :confused:

2. Drewski

Drewski Supporting Member

Im not a strat guy. They sit unplayed at this house. If youre like me, do it! SGs are fun little guitars!

3. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

If you already have an LP I would say keep the Strat. An LP/Strat combination will cover far more ground than an LP/SG pair.
    Unless of course you simply aren't playing the Strat.

4. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

What kind of SG? Out of all my guitars, my Strat gets played the least...

5. 30secs

30secs Member

This SG. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-sg-standard-electric-guitar

i know its tough.. on one hand i prefer the Gibby tone.. on the other, Strat is a classic and will cover my overall guitar spectrum

I dont play the strat as much, but making an effort and trying to have it grow on me. if you cut the tone on the strat it actually sounds pretty awesome.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  6. rjsc5

rjsc5 Member

I own both, and the SG is a great guitar, but IMO keep the strat for a good single coil sound. You are far more versatile in your present form, and not just stuck in the humbucker camp. At some point you will wish you had that tone, even if you don't play it as often.

7. brianr0131

brianr0131 Member

Throw a bucker (stacked or rail if you don't want a new pickguard) in the bridge of the strat and keep it. Then, you can cover anything pretty much.

SG is too much like a Les Paul, and a little uncomfortable with straps in my experience

8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Member

You gotta play the SG - some people (me included) have a heavy right arm - I bend them out of tune too much. The "neck heaviness" is another issue, but doens't bother some folks.
    For guys that can make 'em work though - they sound pretty great.

If you weren't already looking for something different, I wouldn't do it. I like a strat, not as much as a Tele or an LP though. I say save up and add a Les Paul down the line. but that's just me.

9. JakeELee

JakeELee Member

That's a tough one. I'm not slaggin' on Gibson, but when I go into a place like Guitar Center, I often see some Gibby's on the rack that I'm not real impressed with. In general, I prefer, and own, SG Standards from the early 90's to the ones on the racks today. Nothing special about that era, not vintage or anything, but they seem to me to be built better. If you want an SG, I'd take the time to compare.

10. Giraffecaster

Giraffecaster Member

if this is the same strat you may have broken the truss rod on....

back to the topic, sg's feel different from the LP but cover a lot of the same ground. sounds like a fairly even trade and if you aren't happy with the sg you could always find another strat, especially if this one isn't doing anything for you.

11. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

As an official Humbucker guy, I'd ditch the strat. SG's rock and if you need a quacky sound you can split the coils or get a PRS ..........