Trade my Shiva for a Tremoverb?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by prsnstrat, Mar 20, 2008.

1. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi all, looking to get some logical advice from y'all. I've had two dual recs in the past, and really miss mine...got a Shiva that is simply amazing and puts out wonderful tones, but I played my Rec for so long that my heart is telling me to get one again. I thought of trying a Tremoverb this time.

Am I nuts to trade such a gorgeous sounding/looking amp such as the Shiva for a Tremoverb??

I need a talking to! lol

Thanks for all,
    Brandon

2. JubileeMan 2555

JubileeMan 2555 Member

I wouldn't do it. The Tremoverb is a fine amp, but not very sought after and the tones are nothing specifically spectacular. (but I suppose this is my opinion)

If you are really jonesing for that mesa tone, i'd recommend saving some cash and getting one outright. if you trade, the interest in the tremoverb might fall over time, and trading a trem for a shiva will be darn near impossible the other way around.

3. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Hi Tyler - thanks for the holla neighbor! I hear ya on all fronts. I think it is more sentimental than anything, so I may just take your advice and look for one.

4. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Sell the Shiva and buy a Tremoverb outright. That way you get full value for it. You can get a Tremoverb head for about 1100 or so if you search hard, combo for a little less (but shipping will be like 100 bucks on those heavy things).

The TOV is widely considered one of the best amps Mesa ever produced. If you want one get one. Extremely versitale and you can get alot of great tones. If you ever wanta sell your TOV, you'll have no problem getting 1200 to even 1300 for it down the road. The prices on them are increasing.

5. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

Words from someone who really hasn't spent time with a Tremoverb!/\ /\ /\

At least with my Tremoverb i loved watching the faces of:

Shivas, Matchless, Carr,Vibroking, Etc owners who came to play with tehir bands and ended up asking me how i got those tones.

I thought the Shiva was going to impress me after hearing lot's of folks talking about it just to found it shallow sounding compared to My Tremoverb's tones.

I got my Tverb modded thou, just to be able to play at lower volumes, nothing really special.

Anyway, i haven't heard an amp like that particular 1994-1993 Tremoverb.
    It is the best amo i have played and i have played lot's of boutique amps and lot's of -you name the amp and i'll tell when i played it- and my Tverb ran circles over all of them.

That said, i had a Tremoverb head that i didn't like, but maybe due to one of the Speakers i had at the time.

Go out and try A Tverb, you might be in for a great ride.

6. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Great points, from someone who has owned one. I had a dual rec from the Tremoverb era and it was amazing with EL34s in it. Played it exclusively from 1995-2004. I regret selling that amp, almost daily. Thanks for the advice macmax.

7. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

I think i'm gonna do just that! Thanks bonchie. By the way do you own a Tremoverb?

8. bonchie123

bonchie123 Supporting Member

Yeah. I just bought a head. Found it on craiglist for 1000 bucks.

9. frankencat

frankencat Guitarded Gold Supporting Member

Keep the Shiva. Buy a Tremoverb. Thank us later :)

P.S. The Tremoverb is a killer amp.

10. tele_jas

tele_jas Member

Not if you use the clean channel much, don't trade!

I loved my T verbs, but I hated their cleans. I guess they were ok, but nothing to write home about.

keep the Shiva is my $.02

11. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

yeap, very sensitive when it comes to preamp tubes.

12. vbjamin

vbjamin Member

I,d take that trade, all day long! Then I,d sell the Shiva.
    15 watters do it for me.

13. prsnstrat

prsnstrat Member

Definitely some varying views here. I think I'll have to find out for myself if the TOV is a keeper or not. 15 watters definitely have their place and sound great. My Maz Jr 1x12 gets me there in spades for low wattage goodness. :cool: