Trade Opinions Cunetto Strat for 1964 SG Special

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by ANRO, Feb 27, 2012.

1. ANRO

ANRO Member

I was hoping to get some opinions on a trade prospect I am considering. There is a local guy who wants to trade me a '64 SG Special for my early '95 Cunetto Strat numbered in the 180's. It seems like it should be an easy decision to trade for a vintage piece. I know that it is ultimately my decision to make, but I would appreciate some input from y'all.

Thanks in advance.....

2. rushcentrale

rushcentrale Member

If I had a no issues 64 sg special that sounded great, I'd keep it. I think there are plenty of CS guitars that look as good and sound as good (if not better ) than cunetto era relics...but good old wood is good old wood.

3. ANRO

ANRO Member

The SG is sweet without any issues, serious mojo with nice checking.

4. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

I would go for the SG but keep in mind that it has P-90s and some people don't like that they can be noisy... but the p-90s from that period are some of the best sounding ones IMHO.

5. Vintage-tone

Vintage-tone Gold Supporting Member

It's a pretty even trade. There are A LOT of SG specials and juniors in 64 - 65 before the narrower nut.
    Is the SG a stop tail or a vibrola ?
    SG specials are actually a bit like the Cunetto as far as people asking 5.6.7 10, 20 k for them and not selling them. When you re looking at completed listing on Ebay VS what people are asking on Ebay, you can clearly see that they sell on average for half what people are asking.
    Last 63 Special I bought was a solid 8.5 condition with the original case for 3500. So depending on the condition of the one offered in trade, it's worth 2 to 4500 on a realistic market and 4 to 25k on a "hang it on the wall and never sell it market" :p
    So you re trading a newer on the rarer side early Cunetto for a relatively common but vintage guitar. To give you an idea, Gibson shipping records for the SG special cherry red are 1017 in 63,1704 in 64 and 2099 in 65. A Firebird V would be 62 in 63 and 510 in 64.

Another question is do you have the strat COA ? COA do not make guitars sound better but they can be pretty important for a buyer. Even though Vince is kind enough to most of the time clarify what the batch number stamped in the body and neck dates indicate.
    The batch number on the body is probly the best way to accurately date it.
    1 st number indicates the year follow by XXX that indicates the day of the year.
    Do you have the original case and candy ??
    Any mods done to it ?
    and weight / is the neck figured / curly / flamed / birdseye ?
    Condition of the frets ?
    oh yes and of course ... somewhere after all that ... does it sound good ?
    Most people who buy Cunetto s now are more or less collectors but there are a few who actually do buy them to play them, as crazy as it sounds !

6. itstooloudMike

itstooloudMike Member

I had a '63 SG Special a few years ago, and like a fool I let it go. The one I had was the best rock guitar I ever picked up, and a real joy to play. I would make the deal you are contemplating in a heartbeat. There will always be great new boutique guitars, but the supply of un-broken old-wood SGs is pretty limited. Those early SG Specials are indeed special! Don't overthink this one, just make the trade. There will be no regrets. Trust me on this.

7. sheepman

sheepman Member

Something about the feel of a vintage guitar for me just can't be beat. I feel like I'm playing on a piece of history that's filled with the blood, sweat, and tears of many other musicians who played it before me. So yes, I would go for the trade.