trade the Twin for a Deluxe? Help me decide

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pedalbored, Apr 4, 2015.

1. pedalbored

pedalbored Member

I've got an old '73 Fender Twin Reverb. Great amp, plenty of power and it takes pedals well. At my age (60) and the fact we're playing every sat night makes me realize just how heavy that amp has become, even with the pop out casters. I'm thinking of trading it in for a '65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, not one of the hot Rod ones tho. We play classic rock and country in a 5 pc that includes pedal steel. Will the Deluxe be able to keep up? We mic things now when needed, but I don't want to have to crank up a Deluxe so high that it might damage it. Ideas and suggestions welcome!

2. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

If you dont need cleans and have PA support then you should be fine. If you need to stay clean at louder volumes then you will definitely need to be mic'd. My DRRI was into overdrive territory by 4-5 on the dial.

3. pageburst

pageburst Silver Supporting Member

A Deluxe reverb should suffice for most small venues but you might consider a Vibrolux. This is my favorite Black Face Fender. It doesn't weigh much more than a DR, has 6L6s, and provides a touch more clean headroom.
    I also love the sparkly chime you get form a pair of 10" speakers.

4. Joe L

Joe L Supporting Member

If you're using a PA try a Princeton Reverb. It weighs about 30 pounds with incredible blackface tone.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Big Jump Down in Power (as well as size) going from a TR to a DR. I think you may be happier with an intermediate power amp like a HR Deluxe or something.

6. zenas

zenas Member

Can you try a Deluxe Reverb before you buy one or make the trade ?

7. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

If you used to a TR, you may not be happy with a DR unless you try one first.

You can reduce the weight of the TR by about 15 lbs by replacing the old speakers with a pair of Neo magnet speakers like the Eminence Lil Texas. And they will sound better than the old speakers!

8. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I would seek out another SF amp over the reissues. A Deluxe and even a mic'd Princeton can be great gigging amps. Still a Twin can be something magnificent to play and the smaller amps might be a letdown imo.

9. Lef T

Lef T Member

I'm your age also.
    I play a Twin Reissue and will not part with it.
    I haul it around once a week.
    I tried the different new Deluxe and Vibrolux Reissues but personally was
    underwhelmed.
    Nothing wrong with them,just didn,t have the oomph of a Twin.
    I'm looking for a Dual Showman head and then use a 2x12 cab with it.
    That will make things a little easier,hauling wise.
    I'll keep the Reissue for backup.
    I did a lot of gigging with a Blues Deluxe Reissue and at 40 watts,it had
    a good amount of clean headroom,and was easy to carry,but it still
    wasn't a Twin .
    You'll have to go try them out and see what you think.
    You could always get a head cab from Mojotone and put your Twin head
    in that and get a 2x12 cabinet.
    The head will still be pretty heavy,but not as awkward as trying to carry
    a combo.

10. budglo58

budglo58 Member

I found it difficult to get enough clean headroom with a 335 without micing it. I ended up getting a HRDX 3 instead.

11. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I guess it depends on your gigs/venues. Been playing a BFDR for 40 years and use it at about 80% or more of my gigs. It's rarely over 3 on the volume dial. We play blues and rock and are 5 piece group. I'm 68 YO. But... I don't think I could use a Twin even if I had a roadie to carry it.... too loud and sterile for me.... except those 3 or 4 summer outdoor gigs!

12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Guess big question is where do you usually have your twins vol set and what size venues do you play.

There's a little wiggle room with a Deluxe if you play with some more efficient speakers like a CRex or a slightly milder volume wise Texas Heat.

But it's hard to find a real replacement for a Twins big 2x12 cab and massive iron pushing them.

13. jimmybcool

jimmybcool Supporting Member

I was wondering why not look at a silver face Pro Reverb. Kind of the same cleans, a lot of power and lighter. Then I looked it up. Still not light. :jo

According to Ampwares.com your amp weighs 69 lbs. And a silver face Pro reverb is 58 lbs.

Oh well.

14. gtrplr71

gtrplr71 Supporting Member

If you know someone who has a lower wattage amp and lower weight try it out. The Princeton is a glorious amplifier, the deluxe also. The weight of the twin can beat you to death.

15. zenas

zenas Member

A Princeton Reverb is also a great amp if it'll work for you. I tend to grab a PR or DR and leave the TRs at home these days.