• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Traded for a Rodger Mayer Voodoo-1 TC pedal recently..........

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
OK. So recently I went on a quest for a Vintage Tube Screamer type pedal. I wound up buying 5 pedals and Kept 3. The other two although great pedals didn't work for me or were redundant so I was selling them. I sold one and traded the other when I got an interesting offer for the Voodoo-1. Its weird very little on these pedals on You Tube. And most of the reviews I read All hated on the look at the 50's art deco graphics. People didnt seem to want to even try and get past the look of the pedal. And it wasn't cheap at around $300. So with those counting against it many looked elsewhere and I dont see hardly any video reviews or write ups.

From Rodger Mayer's website:
Voodoo-1 TC
A very smooth overdrive / distortion pedal that has gained very wide acceptance by top players. It uses both discrete and IC techniques to obtain a very clean and articulated sound that can be changed with the TONE control to give a wide range of tone colors.

As far as the looks you either dig it or you dont. I don't really either. :huh But when it comes to effect pedals I couldn't give a Rats *** about the looks. I step on it. It gets covered in dust and stepped on. But if you can get past that........ The large button that puts so many off is actually very functional. Its so you can add and take gain away with your foot. The lopsided box that surrounds the on off switch is what puts many off. Its a weird style but again I couldn't care less. I was curious enough I figured I'd give it a try. Could be an expensive lesson.......but My buddy just spent $400 on gas for his boat this past weekend. Another about $250 on golf. So......If I lost a bit on the pedal I figured I had fun trying. :dunno

Any fans of Dr. Z amps here? This is the best way to describe the coolness of this pedal. If you read in the description from RM above "It uses both discrete and IC techniques to obtain a very clean and articulated sound that can be changed with the TONE control to give a wide range of tone colors." Reminds me of the way Dr. Z uses his tone controls on amps like the Route 66. At first I was like?? All the way forward sounded a bit Mosquito like. But roll it back some and Holy ****! It fattens up to some of the best crunch I've had in a while. Depending on the guitar /amp combo , My strat was obviously very different then my double Humbucker guitars you set this for incredible results. Then just sit back and use your foot to dial in less or more gain. Its fantastic! I love examples of fuzz used on recordings. But my history with fuzz always leaves me frustrated. I dont like it full out and they don't sound good with different guitars. This is just what I've been looking for. Its more of an Overdrive but has that Fuzz type sizzle on top that KILLS for open strings and double stops. And you can adjust it on the fly with your foot. I'm Loving this thing. I was able to dial in Killer AC/DC style Crunch, ZZ Top style blues/ and SRV OD/fuzz like on Tightrope and crossfire. Change guitars just lower or raise that tone and dial in the gain with your foot. AND I could stack this wonderfully with my Mythical OD pedal . Just dial in a low gain boost and use that large foot switch to dial in the gain desired. Just KILLER! really digging this and glad I took the leap of faith. :aok

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
Nice review. There is a lack of info out there on this pedal. What amps did you run it through?

Looks don’t always kill!
I used my Mark Kane Dumble Overdrive special. It has a great foot switchable OD as well but this pedal has a really cool OD Fuzz thing that just sounds fantastic if you get the levels right. Very interactive.

Jollyb

Gold Supporting Member
Man. I was fooling around with this pedal......playing along to the Doors L.A. Woman..........it perfectly gets that OD with just a touch of Fuzz rhythm. They add some gain and lower you guitars volume....one of the most interactive pedals I've owned. Can you tell I like it? :cool::aok

Trending Topics

Top Bottom