Traded My First Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Daren Anderson, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

In 1995, i bought a 1994 sunburst American made Fender Strat from Starving Musician in Santa Clara. It was beautiful and I loved it. It was my first quality electric guitar.

Eventually, I learned that I much prefer humbucker equipped guitars. As the collection of guitars grew, I played the strat less and less. But, I've kept it all these years; playing it rarely.

This morning I traded it (with some cash and a pedal) for 2012 PRS DGT goldtop. Not too long ago I acquired my first DGT, and it quickly became one of my favorites. Now I have two DGT goldtops. I can't get enough of those DGT guitars. They suit me well.

I was conflicted about the trade. I had feelings of nostalgia for this old friend that had been with me for 22 years. I also was conflicted about the idea that I needed a strat as part of my
    collection. And I was conflicted about trading for a guitar that I already had.

I played both of my DGTs today. They are both fantastic. I don't regret the trade at all.

[​IMG]

2. Anthony Newcomb

Anthony Newcomb Member

3. Artjr

Artjr Member

I think you need to call the guy and buy your 1st guitar back. Even if you don't play it. I wish I had mine.
    BTW nice DGT

4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc Member

5. ant_riv

ant_riv Supporting Member

I agree with artjr.

Someday you will regret letting it go, as you reminisce and think about it.

6. Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates Member

Nostalgia's overrated. No point tying up money and space in something you don't use anymore. Good trade.

7. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

I wrestled with the potential that I would regret letting my first guitar go. I'm sure periodically I'll miss it. But I didn't trade it on a whim. I'd been thinking about it for years, and had offered it in trades several times before (unsuccessfully).

You should have seen the guy's face light up when he opened the case and saw my strat. He had this huge smile and said it was exactly the strat he was looking for. The guitar had lived most of its life in a case, so it is in excellent condition. It honestly made me happy to know that my old guitar is going to be played and enjoyed by someone who will love it.

Befuddled, Germi and cliffenstein like this.
  8. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Luckily my first electric is decent enough to eventually fix up as a partcaster but doesn't have enough monetary value to ever overcome the sentimental value. One of these days I'll fix it up as it currently needs to be cleaned up and rebuilt electronically but I don't think I'd ever get rid of it. I don't need it, but I learned on it, so I'll never get rid of it.

In your case, you probably did the right thing if you're gonna use both. No sense in keeping high value items laying around unused.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Daren Anderson likes this.
  9. Matlock

Matlock Member

You won't miss it, it was just an object. You now have a guitar you'll enjoy playing. Sounds like it was the perfect trade for all parties involved!

hudpucker, jcj and Daren Anderson like this.
  10. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Member

Yep...not to mention the ease of turning that Strat into a humbucker equipped guitar.

11. Daren Anderson

Daren Anderson Member

If I had a really large music room with plenty of space, and ample gear funds, I would have kept the strat for sentimental reasons. But, I can barely turn around in my music room without bumping into something, and there never seems to be enough gear money.

I thought about trying to mod my strat to turn it something I'd love (put a humbucker in the bridge and replace the neck with an R8 sized neck with jumbo stainless steel frets), but when I figured out how much that would cost, it made more sense to just get the guitar I want rather than mess with a perfectly fine strat.

Befuddled likes this.
  12. Germi

Germi Member

Enough said, enjoy it!

Daren Anderson and Befuddled like this.
  13. Befuddled

Befuddled Supporting Member

I think this on top of what you said about the fellow you traded with should ease your regrets decent enough. I would for sure be upset if my first guitar got sold/traded to a flipper, but if it's to a good person then there's nothing wrong with letting it continue its journey

14. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

Yup.

Remember also, if guitars or objects had hearts and feelings, they'd be much happier loved by someone else than neglected by you.

15. Kylote

Kylote Member

My first guitar would be firewood if I still had it :D

16. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Pfft! I woulda kept my first few guitars if they hadn't fallen apart and not been junk.

17. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I would probably trade the first guitar I ever bought if anyone would take it. Nice new axe!

18. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Member

I still have my first guitar, a 90s Peavey strat clone, but it's not really worth anything to anyone else and I can't bring myself to just throw it away. I'll keep it around until I have kids old enough to play and then it will be their first guitar.