Trademark 30 vs SCXD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by BCFinn, Dec 24, 2009.

1. BCFinn

BCFinn Member

I'm going to college next year and want to take an amp with me to the dorm
    I've pretty much got it down to
    Tech 21 Trademark 30
    and Fender Super Champ XD

I've seen the 18 page fan club for the scxd but there not much on the TM30

Im wondering which one I should get, any help would be greatly appreciated

2. jzero

jzero Member

Didn't you already ask this in another thread? It seems like you just want people to tell you to get a TM30.

Let me help you out: Get a TM30.

(since you're convinced the Superchampions are just a bunch of fanboys)

3. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I have a TM30. I love it. That said, it's all SS while the Super Champ has tubes sitting behind its SS front end. They both are rated 8.8 for sound on Harmony Central. (And, yes, the Fender has close to 90 reviews and the TM30 only five.)

I think maybe the biggest difference between the two is that the TM30 is a single channel amp. The Super Champ is a two channel amp and you can get an optional foot pedal to switch between channels.

Tech 21 calls the TM30 a recording amp, meaning, I guess, that you get a sound and record a track. It's not really designed for changing sounds on the fly. And it has zero effects.

If this amp is going to be your only amp, and you don't want to invest in numerous pedals to get effects, and you do want a tube amp, then the Fender is the way to go, imho.

4. samuelson

samuelson Member

whatever you do: don't get the tech 21 trademark 30

5. xntrick

xntrick Member

6. jzero

jzero Member

The gain voicings and FX are solid state, but there is a tube in the preamp in addition to the tube power section. Some will point out that it's used as a phase inverter. However, that is only part of its use. It also is wired as a gain stage from what I've read. Not a purist and don't really care all that much.... The main thing is, it sounds very good.

7. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

I've never seen any Tech 21 amps in my two local GC's... I think you're going to be hard pressed to find one in a shop to demo. You can check your local Craigslist to see if anyone is selling one locally. That's how I got my TM30.

8. xntrick

xntrick Member

i have seen used TM10, TM30, TM60 listed on GC's site..they just don't carry any new models for whatever reason

9. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I used to own a TM30 and currently own a SCXD.

Both are good amps. The SCXD is much more versatile and gets better clean tones in my opinion. Not that the TM30 doesn't get a good clean tone, it just doesn't have the headroom of the SCXD Blackface and Jazz King channels (if headroom is something that's important to you). I found the clean channel of the TM30 to be more like the tweed model on the SCXD. Basically, I think the SCXD can do anything the TM30 can, but not vice versa.

Anyway, I prefer the SCXD.

10. jzero

jzero Member

Old thread, but I recently acquired the Behringer TM30 Clone (the GM110 VTone). While it's a great little SS amp, it has no reverb, no channel switching, can be a bit noisey, and is not quite in the same league as the SCXD tone-wise.