Trading P90s for Mini Hums - ideas?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by mude, Feb 19, 2008.

1. mude

mude Supporting Member

I have 2 guitars with P90s and am considering swopping out the P90s in one of them for some mini hums. Not at all sure about this yet, but I am interested in suggestions for some good mini hums. I don't want to route the guitar at all and would be looking for drop in replacements.

I love both of the guitars, but I don't really need both of them. Both are P90s, trem, one with black limba and one is mahogany. So, I am considering changing one of them or selling one. Just looking for ideas.
    Thanks.

Evan.

2. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

This thread is useless without pics! :D (seriously, what guitars are we talking about here?)

Anyway, I recently acquired my first minihumbucker guitar this past Saturday, so I'd be interested in finding out what people have to say about this. There don't seem to be all that many boutique pickups makers producing mini humbuckers (Lollar is the only one I can think of). Perhaps it's because, from what I can see on eBay, you can pick up the originals for around what a set of boutique humbuckers would cost you. My guitar came with some hot minihumbuckers, which sound good, but part of the reason I got it was to experiment with a new type of pickup, so I'll probably end up trying some different ones out. Based on sound samples, Duncan's vintage bridge minihumbucker sounds very nice.

-Austin

3. george4908

george4908 Member

The DiMarzio vintage minibuckers are excellent and not a whole lot of money. Vinetto uses them as standard equipment in his guitars (though you can option up to the more expensive Lollars). It was on the basis of the Vinetto clips that I put a set in a Tele, and they do sound great. I feel no need or desire to upgrade to the boutique stuff.

You just need a set of Gibson-style mounting rings that adapt a minihumbucker to a P-90 rout.

4. atquinn

I didn't realize Vinetto used Dimarzios; good to know! I'm actually looking to pick up a Dimarzio vintage minihumbucker for the neck of my guitar and, based on how I like it, either getting their hot minihumbucker or an SD minihum for the bridge. I'll have to listen to the soundclips on his site.

-Austin

5. mude

mude Supporting Member

LOL. Koll and Thorn. Both are spectacular, but I suspect that one P90 guitar is enough. Trying to get down to a smaller number of guitars I think. That being said, these are two of my favorites and I am trying to justify keeping them both. :D Hence the idea of putting some mini-hums in one (probably the Koll if I were to do it). Again, this may not make sense as they are great the way they are, but just kicking around some ideas.

Thanks for the thoughts and I'm interested in anything else as well of course.

Evan.

6. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

I'm in the same boat with one of my gits. The P90s sound great clean and with OD, but they don't sound the way I want with high-gain -- compared my Les Paul or another HB git.

7. skeeterbuck

skeeterbuck Member

Mude,
    Have you considered contacting the builders? Thay may have some suggestions that could be helpful.

I also suggest checking out Lollar pickups. Jason makes two styles of mini HB's. The LP deluxe style with pole pieces and the firebird style without.

He also has sound clips that should prove helpful.

8. Moltesen

Moltesen Member

I think Fralin has some mini-hums under development - should be on the market soon..
    I personally like the sound of Firebird minihums, which are different in character - another pole material..

9. amc

amc Member

[​IMG]

Lollar Firebird minihums
    The tone pots have been replaced with a push-pull switching pots.

This sounds fantastic and the split coil positions are great as well
    Try it, you'll like it.

Collings has my permission to call this the "amc mod"
    Yeah, that sounds good... (with tongue planted firmly in cheek)

amc

10. malabarmusic

malabarmusic Member

If you don't want to drill holes for pickup rings, look into the Anderson mini-hums. They offer an adapter of sorts that makes the pickup fit into a standard P90 route. And, yes, they sound great. I used them to make a CU22 Soap into a CU22 Mini with great results.

- DB

11. MOJO

MOJO Member

You could checkout the Anderson M series pickups also

{ opps.... "Mal" beat me to it }

12. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

I just dropped an old SD Firebird mini-hb into the neck position of my Tele. It replaced a P90 that I liked but was very "grainy". The mini-hb is smoother and brighter, and responds very well to the tone control for some nice fat jazzy tones when rolled back. Not sure how much of this would hold true in the fancy wood on this thread...

13. atquinn

What is the difference between Firebird and LP Deluxe mini-humbuckers tonally-speaking?

-Austin

14. martyncrew

martyncrew Gold Supporting Member

I never A/B'd them in the same guitar but my impression is that the Firebird pups are a bit brighter.

15. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I like the Duncan Vintage Minibucker in the neck of my spruce topped chambered ash tele. Clear defined highs but full with no ice pick. Also sounds good for higher gain stuff. It's vintage wiring though but it's so clear you don't need a coil split.

16. mude

mude Supporting Member

Good stuff. I really appreciate the info. Thanks.

Evan.

17. Vinetto

Vinetto Member

Your post made realize that I need to update the pickup descriptions on our website!

Both the DiMarzio's and the Lollars are nice. Jason makes two styles, the true minihumbucker with the polepieces and the Firebird style, with the solid cover, like the DiMarzio. I like the DiMarzio and it's a good value, but we've switched to the MH Jason makes for us as standard equipment on the Legato because they do what I want the guitar to do a little better. The Lollar Firebird is also really nice, with a little more top end bite.

18. Bluesbuff

Bluesbuff Member

I have a set of Gibson recent vintage minis from my LP deluxe I'd be willing to part with at a good price. PM me if interested

19. oscar100

oscar100 Member

20. amc

amc Member

I recently traded for a B3 XT Phoenix that came with DiMarzio minihums
    What an incredible guitar.

Thanks Gene!

[​IMG]

The DiMarzio mini's sound very good, but, the Lollars are truly in another
    league.
    Eventually, I am going to replace the DiMarzios with Lollars.
    The Lollars are that much better.

Obviously, this is IMHO, YMMV

amc