Traffic Tickets In Italy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stew, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Stew

Stew Member

I was in Italy last fall. I've recently received a few tickets in the mail. One for driving in a bus lane. Two for driving in limited traffic zones. I'm afraid there might be more. Anybody here get tickets like these and not pay them?

2. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

I suspect the rental car company was originally served with the citations, and they probably do have some financial recourse against you.

Good luck. I never want to drive in Firenze again!

Peace.

3. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

It's typical in Europe. The car rental company will charge your credit card for the fines and you'll end up paying it. It is probably stated on your rental contract that you agree to this when you rented the car. It happened to me in Germany and Spain.

4. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

Yes. Exactly.

5. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Yep, the OP ain't skipping out on those tickets. OP, check your next credit card statement....

6. hank57

hank57 Silver Supporting Member

I drove into Firenze after being in the countryside and with all those
    vespas swirling around me and the crazy traffic I eventually stopped and almost cried. FREAKING stressful.

I went to Germany in 1990 to see the Grateful Dead and paid cash at a pension and and didn't get a receipt. For a few years they sent notices that I owed them for those nights but they didn't have any credit card info so they couldn't come after me. I think the staff pocketed the money.

7. Stew

Stew Member

I don't think they have my credit card number. They can tell by the license number that it was a Hertz car. They contacted Hertz for my contact info (Hertz charged me 50 euro a pop for that) now I've received the tickets. If they had my credit card number they wouldn't have sent the tickets and just charged the credit card directly. There's probably some legality that they can't take the money from you directly.
    I just read other stories online and it sounds like they will start harassing with phone calls and there can be some problems with being able to rent a car in other countries. I'm just going to pay up.
    I didn't know before I went, but anybody going to Italy, be very careful of where you drive. There's cameras everywhere.

8. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Before the anti-ticket freedom brigade gets here with their party hats on, let me say that I think you're doing the right thing. Sometimes they'll have a reciprocal agreement with your state and it can interfere with DL renewal and car registration back home.

I don't know about internationally, but my sister found out the hard way with a ticket she conveniently forgot about that was issued in PA. She had to pay it and the fines it had racked up before she could renew her CA DL...

9. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

Firenze-shmenze! try Naples

10. Stew

Stew Member

Ha! I was going to say try Rome. It's ironic that in all the chaos that somebody can find something to give you a ticket for.

11. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

12. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I've had it hit my card once, but two other times my card got shut down for fraud the day I got back to the US. So by the time the rental car company in Germany got the ticket, which is weeks later, and tried to ding my card, the card number was already invalid. I really wouldn't have minded paying the fines, as they're pretty reasonable in Germany, they give you some warning and also knock 10% off your clocked speed before calculating the fine. But by the time the tickets make it to me, they're already weeks overdue and cost way more. Plus, my bank charges $40 for a foreign wire transfer. So it gets expensive. I've only ever paid parking tickets in Europe that I knew about as soon as I got them. In that case, I just gave a local friend some cash and had them pay it for me by wire. I've never had trouble renting a car in Germany after blowing off those tickets, even rented from the same office several times.

What I find to be real BS is the administrative fees the rental company tacks on to the ticket and tries to pass along to the renter. Mrs. Lee works for a company that makes the cameras and their biggest cash cow is Hertz. Hertz always has to pay the tickets, but they don't always collect from the renters. So they tack on huge admin. fees to everyone to cover the ones they can't collect on.

13. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

I have been traveling to Europe for business since 1990. I have driven a car exactly one time!

14. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

Come and get me. Muhahaha.

[​IMG]

15. Seth L

Seth L Silver Supporting Member

Didn't you ever wonder why the lanes were so clear?

16. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Holy Hoechstgeschwindigkeit .. a whole 23 km/h over the speed limit

And how can a ticket be "Mit freundlichen Gruessen" .... (With Friendly Greetings)

That doesn't sound like a friendly greeting to me .. LOL

I got a ticket a couple of years ago in Germany ... the rental car was on my coworkers credit card .. the rental car company hit his credit card with the processing fee, but the Polizei sent the ticket to his address here in Arizona

We paid up since it was on official business for our jobs and we might require a rental car in Germany again for work

If you're never going back you could probably slide ... but if you want another vacation over there or your job needs you to go it would be best to pay up

:munch

17. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I had tickets show up over a year after my trip. Pay the damn things- or they will rapidly increase in cost, and go to collections. Hertz charged my 80 euro for admin fees, and my ticket was 103 euro for driving in a zone where I was not permitted to drive. Damn Italians- could use a bit more signage.

18. Charlie48

Charlie48 Long ago, far away

I got two tickets in France. They got to me six months later. I don't know if the rental company was involved (probably), but they didn't charge me any fees. I paid the fines (they were much less than in the US) and kept the receipt because we travel in Europe a lot.

Yes, I was speeding. Wondered why everyone else on the road were such *******. Now I know.

19. Rick Lee

Rick Lee Member

I've been back and rented a car since then. I was just there a few weeks ago. This ticket is from last Sept.

I got one three yrs. ago that was really BS. When I left the house in the morning, the speed limit was 100 km/h. When I came back at night, it was lowered to 90 km/h. I couldn't read the sign fast enough and the camera was in the sign. It had a ton of language in it that due to noise pollution (Laermschutz) the limit is reduced from 100 to 90 km/h between the hours of 10pm and 6am. That sign was only on the other side of the road, facing the other direction when I left in the morning, so I didn't see it until I was on my way back and I was only going 98 km/h, but it flashed me as I was reading the sign. Total BS. Was not even tempted to pay it.

20. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Its the game. You can do what you want but, for myself, i paid mine.
    I parked in a legal parking zone, in a little town in Italy, and the next morning there was a parade I could see from my balcony, and also see my little fiat was the only car parked along the street. I couldn't read the sign and it must have said something about it. Months later I get a notice from the city, and went online the same day and paid it. If I recall correctly, they had added quite a bit of fines for paying overdue (even though this was the first contact...I never got a ticket on my windshield, etc.) but at the cities site, there was a box to check that basically said "I promise I only just heard about this now" and it was true In my case so I cheked it and then the fine was back to the original amount.

I love Italy, and don't really want to end up not being able to go back, so I paid. I am also learning Italian now, so I can read the signs next time.