Train Wreck Clone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Souled Out, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

I've had a opportunity to breifly demo a one of kind train wreck clone built by SDG Vintage Amplifiers. The build quality seems superb. SDG appears to be a respected builder here based on some the search threads I have read. The touch dynamics of the amp seem pretty special. It's extremly loud and I've had to attenuate it to hear the the goods. I have a few attenutors and Ultimate seems to let the amp shine.

Here's where I am confused. Is the Constellation a Train Wrech inspired amp? I have not A/B this amp with my Constellation but my intial thoughts are that the Constellation (with both channels blended) and the SDG Train Wreck clone have similar tones. I don't know anything about the orginal Train Wrecks other than they were designed by Ken Fisher and seem to be some type of modded Fender. I have never had the opportunity to see or hear one before. My only education about the amp is what I have read on threads here.

The vendor has been kind enough to let me demo it for a couple of days. I am guilty of buying differnt amps only to find out later that I aready had that ground covered. Any help is appreciated to try an protect me from myself.

2. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Based on the clips on the Komet site the Constellation seems to cover some of the Express ground..At least I always thought that….The constellation has nothing really on the Express they are totally different amps…The constellation seems to resemble more the AC30 aspect with some twists and more gain…the Express is just more Fender/Marshall like…Both great amps but different….

3. Dongara

Dongara Member

Original 'wrecks were designed and built by Ken.

Komets (i.e. Komet 60 and Concorde) were designed by Ken and built by Komet.

The Constellation was NOT designed or had any input from Ken. Not sure if the Komet boys designed it, or it was designed out of house.

All from the man himself. Still have the letters where I asked him the same question.

cheers,

Mark.

4. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

The Constellation was design by Hogy and Mike, the Komet 60, 80 and Concorde were Ken's....

5. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

Thanks for your replies. I was aware that the Constellation was designed by Hogy and Mike, but I thought there may have been some wreck influence with the design becuase of their relationship with Mr. Fisher. It was just an impression/reaction I had when playing with the Wreck clone this morning. I may be way off which was I started the thread.

6. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

I have a Constellation and a Concorde. According to Hogy he designed and based the Constellation on Rory Gallagher's tone during his '74 Irish Tour. During that tour Rory used a combination of an AC30 and Fender Tweed. The Constellation is designed to cover that ground. The two channels set up as Ch. 1- tweed, Ch. 2- AC30 with a bunch of gain. The two channels mixed to me is absolute tonal nirvana. The harmonic overtones on clean chords on Ch. 1 are unbelievable. And with a Strat or a Suhr, it nails that Gallagher tone but so much more.

7. BerkleeBill

BerkleeBill Member

8. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

Very nice amp, I use to own a conversion but with a diffrent OT and it sounded very good...Very nice cleans and very 3-D sounding...I was a bit surprised though on the website it says KT-77, mine had EL34s....

BTW, that amp is no clone, I've seen the guts of it and it is very TW like but there is nothing that resembles it as a clone. I think they took the design and remodeled it to what they thought it was the best sounding....But it is definitely not a clone....

9. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

I put some guitar picker clips on youtube a while back of his original Trianwreck. If you do a search for Trainwreck you'll see them.

I'm no guru, but I've seen a lot of amps that say they are clones or like Trainwrecks that sound nothing like them at all. I use these clips as my benchmark because it's a real trainwreck and a real Burst. Fuchs is the closest I've heard to a clone.

10. matte

matte Senior Member

i have an "86 express and have owned 3 other wrecks. fuchs is not even close. the clones that garbud has for sale in the emporium are closer. we have a gp member in our midst, who despite his humility, has the absolute confidence of the amp garage guys to be building an express which will be auctioned off with all $$$ going to ken's familiy. i won't post his name out of respect to his right to privacy.

11. Souled Out

Souled Out Member

"The now-legendary original Trainwreck™ amps were made by Ken Fischer in Colonia, New Jersey. These single-channel amps were noted for their sensitivity — which allowed guitarists to go from shimmering cleans to raging distortion — simply by manipulating the guitar's volume knob!"

The above was very noticable in the SDG Trainwreck clone or whatever. I remember dialing down the volume and it was shimmering clean then as you increased the guitar volume it really started to rage. I remember definitly taking note of that in my demo. It was much more dramtic than other guitar/amp rigs have have played. I should be able to spend a little more time with it this weekend and decide if I want to keep it or not. Your replies have been very helpful.

12. BadAssBill

BadAssBill southofnash.com Silver Supporting Member

Matte, who makes a good reasonably priced clone IYHO?

13. matte

matte Senior Member

the two that garbud was selling were happening. the amp that's being auctioned off for ken's family is going to be incredible. the wreck community is really pulling together behind it. very heart warming to see people come together to support such a noble cause. it will even feature nos tubes that ken had selected for his own express.

14. BerkleeBill

BerkleeBill Member

Fwiw, I read the above description and didn't take it as a "clone," per se. More so, and am that was "inspired by" those great amps of Ken's.