Trainwreck Inspired Amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gearhead, Mar 17, 2006.

1. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

Who does make Trainwreck Express or Liverpool-inspired amps? I know (of course) there is the Komet, Fuchs's Train 45, and RockyTop is talking about making one. Any others?

The TW-type amp seems to be a "wide open" amp; I would imagine component selection would be crucial. Has anyone ever taken note of what types of caps/resistors and transformers KF used for these amps?

2. 59model

59model Member

I had a Two Rock Ruby that was supposed to be Wreck inspired and really liked it. Great sustain/feedback, a little bright, and fit really well in the band`s mix. If you can find one used, they don`t make em anymore, they are a good buy. But, I never played a Wreck and have no desire to cause of the price. The clip on Komet`s site rips.

3. trisonic

trisonic Member

I compare Trainwrecks to racing car engines.
    When I used to race Karts we had one engine (which was heavily used) tuned by the ace tuner in the UK that was like a handgrenade. You had to get the fuel/air mix precisely right - too rich and it bogged down; too lean and it would sieze up. When the mix was right it would go up to 17,500 rpm at least 500 rpm more than our other engines. Does that sound much? It's not really but that was the difference in a restricted series to either winning or coming second.

Best, Pete.

4. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

I can't really recommend a clone manufacturer. And yes, it is a very "wide open" sounding amp. Parts he used are orange drop coupling caps, carbon film resistors in the signal path, metal oxide resistors in the power supply, CDE capacitors for power filters, silver mica caps for low value coupling (tone stack) and treble bypass, very high quality pots (can't remember the precise brand), and solid core teflon coated wire throughout. His transformers were made to his design specs (I don't know manufacturer/s), and it's all on an aluminum chassis. How does he get all of these ordinary parts (except the Tx's) to sound the way it does? I don't know, that's the genius of it all. All I can say is that you will have to listen to the clones very closely and be very discerning about what you are hearing. One thing I would definetely say is to stay away from those that aren't made on an aluminum chassis. Steel just doesn't behave the same way and they won't be even close IMO.

5. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

ditto on the 2R Ruby..........smokin!!!!

6. Riscchip

Riscchip Supporting Member

I think the Callaham amps are Trainwreck inspired...could be wrong, though.

7. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

8. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

I don't know what you mean by "inspired" some refer to clones as inspired, but if you by inspired mean 1 channel, touch responsive and superior tone Custom By Cougar Thunderbird (el84) and Hawk (el34) are inspired. I don't think they are even similar circuit wise, these amps are 100% designed by Tommy Cougar. But if want a touch responsive hard rocking and singing one channel amp that are very flexible despite the minimalistic design Custom by Cougar delivers.
    I would also regard Komet amps as "inspired" by Trainwreck (the K60 an KF50 are Trainwreck designed after all).

9. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

Aren't some of the Alessandro amps Trainwreck inspired?

Ebay has one or two almost every week.

10. lastwinj

lastwinj Member

i just built one. interesting circuit. built on an aluminum chassis that i had anodized black. now to have a side by side test. :) back to the breakin in period....hope the neighbor doesnt call the cops on me again....might stick on ebay in a few months.

germ

11. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

In THIS case, I would take "inspired" to be a bit more than than the broad characterization: "1 channel, touch responsive and superior tone".

A Trainwreck "inspired" amp would, in my view, be an amp that while not an exact reproduction or "clone", shared the same basic design.

Geetarpicker described this bit in a previous post, contrasting the Wreck three gain-stage designs to non-Master Marshall designs:

12. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

In that case I would say that both the Hawk and T-bird are inspired, although they are 100% original designs.

13. Rusty G.

Rusty G. Member

14. EvilMeow

EvilMeow Member

Wow...

Oookay...

:jo

15. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

My amp is kind of an amalgamation of a Marshall and a Trainwreck.:AOK

[​IMG]

16. Gordon

Gordon Silver Supporting Member

Hey EvilMeow,

I hope that you didn't misinterpret my post. After just re-reading it I suspect that it is possible. What I meant was that I'm not familiar enough with any of the clones to be able to recommend one. Not that none of the clones aren't any good or that they are not worth trying. Just that I didn't know specifically which one to try. Hope that clarifies to some extent.

Gordon

17. doc

doc Member

You may want to check out Omar's Maximoaudio Trainwreck Forum. Great folks, good info - especially for you DIYers building your own clone of a TW.

18. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The Train-45 is a mildly tweaked Express based design using 2 EL-34's (or 2 -6V6's). It recently received a very nice review in Vintage Guitar. BTW: Evilmeows post is quite valid: Steel instead of aluminum chassis, amps with master volumes or added effects loops, all depart from the original design philsophy of the Trainwreack design, and won't sound nor respond the same.

19. Softpaw

Softpaw Member

And the 6v6 Blackjack 21? Will it get anywhere near el34 Express-like tones... the clean to mean, snarl etc.

20. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The power and output iron in the T-45 is larger and the amp sounds "bigger" than the BJ-21 (with both running 6V6's). You can always buy a Train-45 and cut it back with 6V6's, but the Blackjack won't reach up to the power and volume of a Train, as it's a smaller power supply and output transformer. They do share a similar voice though. One of these days I'll do soundfiles of both under the same circumstances.