Trainwreck Liverpool Speakers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Playloudd308, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Playloudd308

Playloudd308 Supporting Member

Trying to decide between a 1x15 and a 2x12 for a Liverpool clone I have coming soon.

I want a big Piano like bottom end, but still want to keep the mods punchy, and the highs chimey. I just want to tame the highs (no brittle/ice pick highs). Basically warm everything up a bit while keeping the articulate and responsive feel. I also don't want to have the wet blanket sound going on.

Would a 1x15 work for what I need? I was thinking about the vented forte in the emporium right now, or a matching 2x12 in the same hardwood. Should I go with a sealed cab? Maybe vented or ported? Open back?

2. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

These amp are really more focused in the mids and top end. Ken Fischer would often pair them with an AC30 2x12 extension cab with Alnico 15 watt Celstions. That said the best way to get as full lows as possible with any Trainwreck would be with a 4x12 IMHO. Still a ported little Bogner cube is a nice compact option with deep lows.

Dexter.Sinister likes this.
  3. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

Geetarpicker would know... He owns a real Wreck...

4. Playloudd308

My main concern is an overly bright amp. I noticed my express clone had a very dominant top end that would fatigue my ears very fast. So, taming the highs are more important than adding bottom end.

5. Geetarpicker

Geetarpicker Member

To tame the top end try a 40' guitar cable made with Canare GS6 wire. Brian Setzer and Carlos Santana run 50' Canare cables on the front end of their rigs, though with totally different amps. Anyway it makes a big difference, perhaps even more than a change from G12H speakers to G12Ms efficiency ratings aside. I often like my original Trainwrecks with the full bright switch on, bit then I tame it down with the long cable. That said I like the bright switch effect on the upper mids, and it adds to a wider clean to mean range, as in more apparent cleans when backed off vs cranked. But the very highest frequencies can get too bright with the switch ON, however the long cord balances that out quite nicely. I don't always run my wrecks this way, but I do most of the time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  6. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

I run a '63 Vox sealed back cabinet with '67 Celestion silver bells with my Trainwreck Rocket and it just kills! The speakers definitely make a big difference.

PurpleJesus and MRscratch like this.
  7. MRscratch

MRscratch Member

i NEED a cab like that for my Trem Rocket

PurpleJesus likes this.
  8. Vox66

Vox66 Supporting Member

I should of had JM build me one of those after playing Matt O'Ree's!

PurpleJesus likes this.
  9. Playloudd308

How do the celestion blue alnico's compare to the celestion cream alnico's? I like the idea of having more wattage so I could us them with my Texas Steel SSS.

71strat likes this.
  10. hogy

hogy Member

That's an issue with most clones I've heard. Real Trainwrecks are really not overly bright. I've worked on many original Liverpools, some of them were chocolatey thick. The chime is there, but rolls off as the amp winds up. That's the cool thing, it works opposite of most amps in that it gets brighter and clearer as you roll off the guitar volume.

The correct speaker for a proper Liverpool is a 12" vintage Celestion. Alnico, G12M25, G12H30, take your pick.

Rupe, PurpleJesus and Dexter.Sinister like this.
  11. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

I favored a 4x12 with G12m Rola bass cones with mine. It was middy but not honky, thick but not congested. Really great lead tone. Chords were a bit mushy this way, however. I sought other solutions but this was a superfine ride.

Rather prefer the K60 a lot, however.

Somewhat less but also very cool is the Snider New Jersey.

12. PerryR

PerryR Supporting Member

I have a JM TW Liverpool, 4x12 is where it's at, peas and carrots. But I also have a Stoneage 2x12c with a v30 and heritage h30 in series 16ohm, killer sound.. That oversized 2x12 has a great bottom.

13. 71strat

71strat Member

Id put either 2 Celestion Creams, or 2 of the Fane Ascension Series 90 Watt Alnicos.

Both have great lows.

The Fane is Lows/Low Mids Focused, with a nice top end. No Ice Pick Ever. Likes to have the tubes cooking to sound is best.

The Cream is like the best of the Blue, and the Gold, only IMHO better than either Cream has Highs/Mids like the Blue, and a better bottom than the Gold. Cream is more Mids/High Mids focused, with great lows. Is a smooth speaker.

Both speakers are at the top of their class IMHO. Both take OD x Pedals great. Both are 90 watt Alnico x 100db.

14. Playloudd308

I can see what you mean with the bright switch. Loving the top end, not as ear piercing as I was afraid of. (Even through an EVM12L/WGS Blackhawk)

What attenuator would you recommend? This baby is loud and my neighbors are fairly quiet/elderly. I do not want to upset them.

15. stratpaulguy86

stratpaulguy86 Member

I like Celestion G12-65s with Wrecks...actually I like them with just about any amp! You don't get that jangle like you would with Blues/Golds, but there's plenty of sweet top and thick, smooth mids/bottom.

As far as attenuators go...Power Station.

16. Rupe

Rupe Member

The best attenuator that I've found for my JM Express is the Alex (now Scumback IIRC)...and I tried almost everything out there.
    For speakers, JM recommends a G12M or similar in an Ampeg V4 cab with the insulation removed. I have one and it's a great combination. That said, I gig with a CAA 2x12 with Scumback M75s...sounds great with the Wreck.

17. celestion101

celestion101 Silver Supporting Member

I was going to suggest our Alnico Cream's. I've played several Liverpools with Blues which is killer, perhaps the benchmark of tone, however as mentioned those amps can sound bright. The Cream sounds a lot like an old worn-in Blue, but not quite as bright and has a rounder low-end. Also, having the tone with the safety of the Cream's power (vs. 15w Blues) would add a nice bit of comfort! Our Fullback 15 sound killer as well....it's like a big smooth sounding Greenback. It's just a matter if you want that "traditional" TW sound, or something a bit different. Good luck!

18. big mike

big mike Plexi Loving Admin Staff Member

Never thought of an Alnico with a wreck. Interesting. I always prefered greenback style speakers. But bet an alnico next to a bass cone H would be good.

19. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I thought I had read somewhere that Ken would pair an both an open and a closed back cab. Anyway, I have one of those Forte 2x12 S/V cabs (ported top, closed bottom) loaded with vintage Celestion silvers that sounds awesome with this type of amp.

20. Playloudd308

Right now I am looking at an Alex's Attenuator vs a Komet airbrake. Both about the same price, but I really like the idea of having a treble boost for lower attenuation levels