Transcribe user question

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by spjoker, Feb 1, 2008.

1. spjoker

spjoker Member

I recently tried the transcribe program and I don't know how to use tracks that I have ripped to my computer. I think the files have to be converted to wav files....., but I don't know how to convert them back and forth.
    What do you fellas do?

2. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

What type of files are the songs on your computer? Most of mine are mp3s and work fine - the only format I haven't been able to use is the iTunes format.

3. Kappy

Kappy Member

I just drag just about any audio file into the Transcribe window and it does any converting right then and there.

4. JonR

JonR Member

Transcribe should work with wav, aiff, mp3, wma, aac, m4a, ogg. I find it's best with wavs - less glitchy than with mp3s.

Look at "Obtaining a sound file" under "Getting Started" in the help menu.

(Sorry if you've already done all this and it isn't working! Give us some more detail.)

5. spjoker

spjoker Member

But I am still having trouble getting it to read my windows player media. I keep getting this pop up error box that says "can not load sound file....not a recognizeable soundfile error T:2044"j
    What I don't understand is some of my older stuff is recongnizable. I tried to drag and drop, but that didn't work. Specifically I was trying to drag form my window media player window into the blank transcribe window. It was unresponsive.
    I know I'm not doing something right. Not the fault of the program.
    What to try next?

6. Kappy

Kappy Member

Can you play those sound files in anything else? If you can, than maybe just re-rip them.

P.S. Why use any windows format anyway (wma, wmv, etc.) Those are cruddy formats that lock you into Microsoft products. There are other formats (and I'm not talking about the cruddy ones that lock you into Apple products, like m4a, mp4 or AAC), that are recognized in most devices so if you ever decide to change your system, or get a portable device, etc. you'll be free to take your stuff with you (and won't be forced to re-rip).