Transcribing away from instrument

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by cantstoplt021, Jan 21, 2015.

1. cantstoplt021

cantstoplt021 Member

Every time I have one of my theory lab classes in school I'm reminded how bad my ear is at figuring out things on its own without help. When I have an instrument in my hand I can figure out a lot of stuff, but when it comes to solely using my ear I come up short. How can I get better at this besides the obvious using your ear without your instrument more. There is a program that I have that has melodic dictations that I'm going to start using everyday. What else should I be doing? Actually practicing solfege instead of half ass sight singing during class? I would like to fix this issue

2. Starquasi

Starquasi Member

When you're working on your ear away from the instrument, be kind to yourself: start off easy.

Use the program, but also listen to music. Music with simple chord motions and melodies.

Don't try to lift/transcribe Coltrane solo's or McLaughlin lines. I started listening to country radio and I focused on the bass line. Learning to identify the root movement, aside from fills, has really improved my overall relative pitch and makes learning melodies and solo's much easier.

Baby steps...

3. KSL

KSL Supporting Member

Speaking as a person with a classical music degree,

Learn your intervals! Train your ear to identify them without a delay in thought.

Also learn to identify scale modes as you can use them as a guide or even "cheat".

I've been through what you've been going through, persistence and practice is the only answer.

4. KSL

KSL Supporting Member

If you get nerdy enough, transcribe the sound of the environment around you for fun Ahah

5. Structo

Structo Member

If you have a decent ear you should be able to get better at it just by doing it and gaining experience.