transferring Pro Tools session to Logic

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Creighton, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Creighton

Creighton Member

Is there an easy way to do this? We are using Protools 9 to record and I have Logic Pro 9 on my Mac that I would like to use to mix the sessions.

It seems Protools saves all our recording sessions in one bulk audio file. I can take that and drop the wave files into Logic, but without being able to open the .ptf file for each session it's going to be alot of work to manually reassemble them in Logic.

I know there is something called Digitranslator. Also I know this has probably been discussed alot previously, just looking for best practices.

Thanks

2. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Pretty sure Logic can't open the ptf files, but ProTools will allow you to export the individual tracks in a format that Logic can import. I've done it several times, though I was on the import end and someone else did the exporting.

3. Unnecessary

Unnecessary Member

bounce all your edited tracks down to individual stem tracks and export? I'm not a PT user, but I would assume every major DAW would have that option. Then all you need is a Logic session with your tempo map and you should have x-number of audio files for each track in your PT that should start at 0 and line up in time. I've never tried with PT.

4. bluefish

bluefish Supporting Member

Unnecessary is right - bounce your tracks to stems and then just drop the files into Logic. There is a YT video of someone doing this ..will try to find it for ya..

5. bluefish

bluefish Supporting Member

6. Creighton

Creighton Member

Thanks for this, although I'm not sure I need to apply all the steps he does (adding cross fades etc).. The sessions I'm taking from ProTools to Logic are just raw tracks with no plugins, mixing or fades applied, and all the tracks are already the same length.

In this case, can't I just open a session from the .ptf file, select all and save as .wave files in a separate folder for each session?

7. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

^^^
    If they're the full files, you don't even need to open pro tools. Just copy the audio files folder that is saved with each song and pull them into logic.

8. TheAlchemist

TheAlchemist Member

Also, for anyone reading this who needs to do the same thing but has tracks that aren't the same length, there's no need to bounce - Pro Tools has a feature called "Consolidate" (option+shift+3 on a mac) that will reprint regions to your selection in the edit window without needing to sit and listen through the track.

ronzie is right though - no need to convert anything if they're already the same length.

9. ronzie

ronzie Supporting Member

That's the drill ;).

To add further to the above: Open session. Hit save. Then do a "save as". Group all of the pro tools audio channels. Highlight the group. Duplicate the "playlist" so that all of the all of tracks have the same .# as in Kick.2, Snare.2,Hat.2 etc...
    Select the full audio region from back to front (0:00), then consolidate.

This makes it so you can easily identify the consolidated files in the audio folder to drag them out. Doubles the size of the folder, but who cares... You still have your original session and the new "save as".

There are other ways in PT 10(and more in PT 11) but the above works just fine.