1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Transformer Damage/No Load?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by waylay00, Sep 28, 2008.

1. waylay00

waylay00 Member

So I was playing with my band today. For forty-five minutes, it sounded great, but then all of the sudden I noticed I wasn't getting any signal from my amp.

So I started fidgeting with the cables, thinking one of them had shorted. Stupidly (probably because I was embarrassed and on-the-spot), I left the amp on while strumming to see if I could get a signal, to no avail.

I later found out that the speaker cab input jack had a loose solder joint. So in effect, I had been strumming into my amp with a no load situation.

After soldering the joint, everything sounds fine again. Even so, do you think I could have caused any premature, possibly undetectable (as of now) damage to my amp? Or am I just extremely lucky?

2. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

3. waylay00

waylay00 Member

Actually, now that I think about it, was I really playing with no load? Or was it just no resistance (short-circuit)?

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Loose wire on the jack would be a no load situation, rather than a shorted wire which would be a grounded (short-circuit) situation. Should be fine, if it is currently playing fine..

5. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

6. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

several hundred dollars lucky.

7. waylay00

waylay00 Member

OK, that's good to hear. :p

8. riker4208

riker4208 Member

happened to me dozens of times.....never killed a tranny that way. Must be possible if other folks are so wary

9. mcgriff420

mcgriff420 Member

Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning! Warning!

:nono Don't buy a used amp from Riker!! :nono

JK :D It's happened to everyone!​

10. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

It is possible that you could have weakened the transformers insulation. Play it for a few years and you'll probably know by then if its ok.