Transformer Recomendations

Rockyrollercat

Considering an output trans upgrade on my Laney LC15-110. Mercury Magnetics has one called the Axiom with single 8 ohm tap for $115. Looks simple enough to change out. Would something like this improve the tone a noticeable amount or would I have to get into caps ect? Any other suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

RRC

mark norwine

Since the stock OT is perfectly acceptable in the application, please define "upgrade"? (and "Improve tone" is too subjective to qualify as an answer)

I'm not trolling...I'm serious. What do you hope to accomplish that the stock OT isn't fulfilling?

Rockyrollercat

IDK I hear all this talk about vintage iron and boutique OT I thought it would be easy to change and give me a better sounding amp somehow.

pdf64

Yes, unless the transformer (or any component) is faulty or poorly specified, swapping out with a different brand is unlikely to bring significant change / improvement.

The exception to that being the speaker - different brands / models can sound significantly different.
Swapping a speaker is a DIY level task and unwanted speakers can be sold on.
Pete

neteraser

Well, you can try. It will give a different sound, that's for sure. Start from this. Then try different signal caps. If you manage to swap them not damaging the PCB (or manage to restore the PCB :) ), then try to learn how to read schematics. That's learning. Probably a good book and looking at Fender's schematics would help. I just looked at the schematics of the LC15, I believe it can be modified into something more beautiful. But that's a nice amp to start with.

Would something like this improve the tone a noticeable amount
So the answer is maybe. You have to try yourself and tell us.

Diablo1

Considering an output trans upgrade on my Laney LC15-110. Mercury Magnetics has one called the Axiom with single 8 ohm tap for $115. Looks simple enough to change out. Would something like this improve the tone a noticeable amount or would I have to get into caps ect? Any other suggestions or advise would be appreciated.

RRC
Sounds to me like you have a desire to use a soldering iron. Forget the transformer swap, and build yourself an amp from a kit.

Keyser Soze

The output section of a tube amp consists of the output tube(s), output transformer, and speaker(s). Together they form a functional unit, where each component can affect the perceived performance of the others.

So yes, sometimes an OT swap can create noticeable changes. But so can a speaker swap.

And a speaker swap is much easier, and generally much less expensive. Particularly when you compare the re-sale on speakers/cabs vs. the resale on used transformers.

Think of a speaker swap as a prudent man's OT upgrade. Only after multiple speaker trials fail would I consider an OT change.

Trending Topics