Transformers and rust

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Tone, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Tone

Tone Member

What happens when power and output transformers start to rust on the outside? I've seen some amps with slightly rusted ones, and it looks like mine are starting to rust a little.

Thanks!:JAM

2. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

Absolutely nothing.
    Says our on site tech.

3. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's not a great sign, since it tends to mean the amp has been stored somewhere damp, which could have caused other corrosion-related harm to fittings, solder joints or pot, jack and switch contacts, and you should definitely make sure the amp is completely dry before powering it up - or really major problems can occur - but by itself a little rust on the outside of the transformers won't do any harm at all. They usually rust quicker than other parts of the amp since the steel is not plated or even usually painted.

4. Tone

Tone Member

Who's on site tech?

5. Tone

Tone Member

Thanks for the info, John!
    I just got back an email response from Mesa customer service and they said not to worry about it, since it's not harming the amp or tone. Said I should'nt bother cleaning it off either.

There's not a big amount right now. Just seems like it's starting on some places. Is there anything I could put on them to prevent it? Even though Mesa said not to worry, I just thinks it looks ugly.:)

6. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

It's not rust, it's "mojo" - it's what makes vintage amps sound cool.

;)

You could probably get it off with some car-DIY rust remover (something called Jenolite in the UK, no idea about the US), but be careful because it's corrosive. Don't try rubbing it off with anything abrasive, you'll just scratch through any remaining coating and make it rust again faster.

I'd leave it alone, personally.

7. Tone

Tone Member

I think that's what I'm gonna do. Thanks, John!:JAM