Transistor fakes!

Jasonmc89

Just how many of the highly regarded "NOS" transistors on eBay are the real deal? I'm talking about NKT275, OC71, AC128 and of course OC44's. All listed as "vintage" and "new old stock". For example, I've just seen a set of 10 NKT275's go for about £15! There are quite a few OC44's going for various prices also, but I was under the impression that these were hard to even find..

So yer, are these the real deal? (I'm guessing not)

How do you spot the fakes?

And finally, what is a good, genuine, readily available alternative?
(I'd rather have a less highly regarded but genuine NOS Ge transistor than a modern repro piece of crap! - Thinking CV7003 or something?)

FILL ME IN!

Cheers guys...

juansolo

They might not be fakes, but they're likely shite. Old germs can be leaky as hell and/or not in a usable gain range. Or have other problems like later AC128's being particularly noisy for example.

Quite simply if good ones were easy to find, good Tonebenders would be easy to build and cheap as chips. They are neither sadly.

I feel like I trust small bear to not give me bogus stuff.
Fake is one thing. Bad is another thing. Could be real but just bad like juansolo states

0xeneye

Silver Supporting Member
You really cannot say much about them until you measure them. OLD stock, NOS doesn't make any difference.

ptdesign

Handmade sonic art
Anyone got any experience with GT308B's??

They all seen legit and affordable..
They sound "OK" Heads up. Pinout is ECB and you will not likely find
much above 60hfe on any of them from a new box of 100. I know they are spec'd between 50 -120

juansolo

Anyone got any experience with GT308B's??

They all seen legit and affordable..
The Russian PNPs, I've had a batch of the NPN equivalent in the past and they've been ok (out of 20 maybe half were usable, again this was a few years back though). Made a decent sounding Fuzz Face and a passable Tonebender.

Smallbear stuff is sound usually FWIW.

analogmike

If it's on eBay, an NKT275 is fake.

There are a few real ones on there very recently but they are $100 a pair and used pullouts.

axdxm

Silver Supporting Member
Im curious what other equipment has nos transistors you can plunder...like a certain brand of ham radios or some weird old tv.

DisasterArea

Owner, Disaster Area Designs and Alexander Pedals
Im curious what other equipment has nos transistors you can plunder...like a certain brand of ham radios or some weird old tv.
You used to be able to buy old surplus computer cards mail-order for a buck, and each one had twelve or fifteen transistors on it. With a little care you could harvest them. I used to get a lot of 2N404 this way. After that dried up I found a place that would test and sort old stock Ge parts for you. I gave them the hFe and leakage ranges that I could use and they did the rest. I still had to match them up but I got a very high yield rate out of those parts. They even labeled them custom for me...

fahrner

If the transistors were installed in a piece of equipment would they still be "New Old Stock"?
When transistor radios first hit the market (back in the 50s or early 60S?), the marketing touted the number of transistors a radio had. Obviously more was better. I remember taking apart a twelve transistor radio and discovering only half or so of the transistors were actually connected to any kind of circuit. The scam was to load extra transistors on the circuit board so you could make the claim of 'more' even though they did nothing.
So, look for old transistor radios from that era. They won't be new but they will be never used.

lestera34

Silver Supporting Member
If the transistors were installed in a piece of equipment would they still be "New Old Stock"?
When transistor radios first hit the market (back in the 50s or early 60S?), the marketing touted the number of transistors a radio had. Obviously more was better. I remember taking apart a twelve transistor radio and discovering only half or so of the transistors were actually connected to any kind of circuit. The scam was to load extra transistors on the circuit board so you could make the claim of 'more' even though they did nothing.
So, look for old transistor radios from that era. They won't be new but they will be never used.
No. They would not be, by definition, new.

EDIT: I reread your post a little more carefully, and suppose that is possible. Don't know what that would be considered actually.

Last edited:

Don Rusk

BearFoot FX Owner
Vendor
I got a big batch right before they were to be harvested...... germaniums with gold legs..... there are people now that shave the gold legs and toss the germ part .... cash em in for the gold content .....

fahrner

Cool.... cause I was struggling with what ANOS stood for.

No. They would not be, by definition, new.

EDIT: I reread your post a little more carefully, and suppose that is possible. Don't know what that would be considered actually.

Jasonmc89

I've just ordered a few GT308B's from eBay. They we're cheap enough so I jut though **** it...

I've read about a "shunt resistor" which gives low hFE readings?

What is a shunt resistor?

..and if it does give low readings, will the transistor actualy put out higher gain than the reading suggests?

Trending Topics