Transparent compressors? Aramat?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by trumpus, Feb 6, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I have been a compressor user for the past few years, though i have gone through several incarnations of types.

I started with an MXR Dynacomp, but found it squashed my tone to much, so i switched to an Alesis Nanocomp which i found to be more transparent, however, as a rack unit, it didn't allow much tweaking on the fly (i had it under a shelf on my pedalboard). I have been borrowing a friend's Bicomp and LOVE it, but only as an effect to be kicked on during leads and such.

Does anyone have any experience with the Aramat Compressor. The description ssounds like what i am looking for with regards to a transparent compressor. I would still like to use the Bicomp for leads, but have a compressor on all the time to clean things up.

ANy other suggestions for transparent compressors?

2. themusicboxstudios

themusicboxstudios Member

i think most people are gonna say diamond :) ... great for what you're looking for.

3. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

THe best "leave-on" comp I've heard was the TRex CompNova.
    A

4. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

Way transparent: Maxon CP101, Keeley Compressor, and the Barber Tone Press.

= K

5. cameron

cameron Member

I recently tried the BBE Opto Stomp. I took my Keeley comp (Ross variant) into the store and did a direct comparison. The Keeley had a sweeter sound, and would be better suited for a lead boost and sustainer application, but the BBE was extremely transparent, and would be very well suited to an always-on application. The store owner agreed with my assessment - and he (a bass player) added that the BBE is a perfect compressor for bass, or acoustic guitar.

The BBE Opto Stomp compressor is like a studio compressor in a stomp box, and cost less than $100. Pretty cool. I didn't buy it, though. Maybe if I were playing bass more, I would.

6. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

I like my Nanocomp, i just feel that i've evolved, with regards to effects, and that i should be able to find a stompbox to perform the same duties.

I recall seeing a picture once of someone's pedalboard where they had a an Avalon Rack unit sitting on the board! Wicked!

Brian

7. GtrWiz

GtrWiz Member

Try the Demeter Compulator, it's by far the most transparent that I've heard. It's based on an LA-2A studio compressor, in stead of being a Ross, or Dyna-Comp clone.

8. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

Barber Tone Press! Eric Johnson's using one I heard.

9. todaystomorrow

todaystomorrow Member

+ 1 on the maxon..... very impressed with the transparency and the price

10. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

I like the Analogman Ross clone. You can make it very transparent sounding by using less compression or adjusting the attack delay so that the attack of your guitar doesn't feel squashed out.

The Squeeze Factor clone of the Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer is really great, too. It's not what I would call transparent (it's got germanium transistors), kind of rude sounding. Most OS clones only have a level control with the signal pretty compressed, but this one has a level control and a blend control. So, you can't set it at low levels of compression, but you can set it to blend less of the compressed signal in with the original signal. There are some loop pedals that you can use to achieve this with any pedal, but I think it's a cool idea. I get the feeling that the OS gets its favorite sounds with the level all the way up, so this way it always sounds awesome (and it does)... The Bi-comp looked awesome, but I'd already bought the CompROSSor and wanted to use both the Ross and OS compressors in different places in my signal path. I think the Bi-comp might have dropped in price some since then as well, seems like a great pedal. I am enjoying both. The Ross circuit does have a slight color to it, but it's very tasteful in my opinion, it's more a consistency of the color of the tone than a pedal with a midrange hump or other EQ/drive characteristics. After I get a few more things to run everything together, I am curious about how compressed it will be after Squeeze Factor eventually hits the Ross clone, eventually hitting the E-H POG and Walco Chord and Note Sustainer (least transparent compressor ever conceived- and noisy!) through the Leslie cabinet through a clean-ish amp (but with a very high-headroom ceramic JBL clone 12" speaker) for organ sounds. Especially with a little fast delay added, it should be a pretty believable organ tone with a completely different attack and feel than the standard guitar sounds (mostly due to the POG and Walco)........

I have heard only good things about most all of the other pedals mentioned so far and some are probably more transparent (circuit designs that are not still around from the 1960s and 1970s) and all of great quality. Hopefully some of the thoughts on control schemes (I have considered using a loop box with a blend control for a couple other effects) might give you an idea. You could use a blend control for the compressor you like and add in the compression rather than taking one sound and trying to compress it transparently. I'm going to have to make a post asking about the previously-in-development-yet-has-now-seemingly-disappeared Keeley patch bay/mixing/blending unit that I had found a PDF file about on Google... I was really curious about that... maybe it got released at NAMM the other week and info is now available...

Have fun...

11. mcknigs

mcknigs Supporting Member

I've got that Maxon and also consider it very transparent. The Barber is one of the ones that blends compressed and uncompressed, no? I don't think the Maxon does that, it just compresses without having that obvious squashed sound that the Dynacomp and Boss CS-Xs have.

-Scott McKnight

12. VanStone

VanStone Member

+1 for the Barber Tone Press.

V

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 for the diamond. You can't tell it's on until it's off. And may the lord help the person that turns mine off!

14. alberob

alberob Member

Try the mad professors .The most transparent I ever owned.[6 total].Expensive but the best.

15. Shaman

Shaman Member

+1 for the TRex CompNova. Perhaps a *tad* extra high-end sparkle.

Personally I found the Barber colored the sound quite a bit, even with the blend knob. Analogman Comprossor same thing plus squash (but the best high-quality Ross style comp IMHO). Love my EBS Multicomp, but it definitely colors (in a different and good way).

Another good "transparent" option is the Menatone JAC; although for me I found it to have just a mild presence boost I didn't care for.

But I must admit a lust for the Diamond. I suspect it might even beat out the CompNova for transparency. Check out Diamond's site for clips:

http://www.diamondpedals.com/products/compressor.html

Cheers!

Shaman

16. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I just bought the CPR and the Analogman Juicer. They are both great but the CPR loses just a hair of the low end while the Juicer is full range. What I like about the juicer is when you raise the bias far from unity gain you get a very, very mild overdrive tone. To me it sounds like a tweed deluxe. Very cool pedal. The CPR is nice to but I think the Juicer has a little more mojo to it. The Maxon is another good one. I think overall I like the squeezer style compression more then the Ross style.

17. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

Yeah I definitely find with Orange comps that you have to keep it at, a TOUCH above, or below unity gain or it will start to really push your other pedals. It's great if that is what you want but I have to be careful with it.

Harry - Hope the Juicer is gonna work for you, not sure if any issues are solved but let me know if you need anything.

18. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

The juicer is working fine and I will be installing a more durable battery clip and later maybe replacing the bias pot but it works just the same. I don't know if you ever messed with the bias setting or not before you sold it but if you didn't you missed out. The bias was way off which caused distortion and a lot more apparent brightness then when it is set the way Analogman recommends. In short I'm ok with everything, it's great pedal.

19. dblack

dblack Member