Transparent O.D.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by old crow, Feb 29, 2008.

1. old crow

old crow Supporting Member

which o.d.'s would you all consider to be "transparent" ??

2. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    it depends what you mean by "transparent" as a lot of players interpret that differently. to me, transparent means it doesn't color my guitar or amp's sound much, so i like the timmy quite a bit.

3. old crow

What you said, plus: something that has a lot of "air" around it.

4. woof*

woof* Member

As far as transparent, timmy and the klon are my favourites, but neither are really that clear, open,airy or whatever you wanna call it. They all color to some extent. Im using a Dragon boost almost all the time anymore. It's the best pedal I've found for what I do. I play bluesrock through a blackface super pretty well cranked with my strat. Dragon boost is transparent and overdrives my amp just right, without coloring or sounding transistory like the FET based boosts......I get a supercharged Fender sound.

5. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

Tim/Timmy circuit. At lower gain settings, "transparent" is their middle names.

6. old crow

Should mention I use a Zendrive into a 68 P.R., which I find very transparent, but I'm still wondering what else is out there...

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Sometimes I wonder about what players call clean, and transparent, around here. To me, any box would be transparent if it was totally indistiguishable between on and off. However, that is pretty useless.

An od would be also totally neutral if it was indistiguishable on and off with the drive set low and the ouput at unity, then, advancing the drive would introduce no change except adding distortion, but is there such a thing as transparent distortion? Not really, but some are more or less in an IMO sense. Not much help here, but I know what I mean.:cool:

8. dr.tdw

dr.tdw Member

This is describing Paul Cochrane's design of the Tim/Timmy. To my ears, at low gain settings ~10:00 and the tone controls on full whack, all they do is add gain while keeping picking & finger dynamics intact. Better than any pedals I've ever played.

9. Shawn3786

Shawn3786 Member

anything tubescreamer.... just relax on the gain

10. plan-x

plan-x Supporting Member

I never played a tim/timmy. But I have a Barber LTD SR w/mod board and it does a pretty good job.

11. Stressfest

Stressfest Supporting Member

Tim/Timmy would be the obvious choice. There are some great choices in the TS realm now though...LGW, Precision Overdrive, Eternity & Bob Burt Overdrive to name just a few. It's a great time for overdrive!! :AOK

12. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Anything TS usually sounds 'good' but is never transparent. Highly useful, yes, maybe preferable, but not transparent when you have a circuit that cuts bass and highs and introduces compression at low drive levels.

Try it. Doesn't everybody hear the tonal difference between on and off with this design?

13. oldschoolguy

oldschoolguy Member

I have a Barber LTD which is next to a Maven Peal Howler. The LTD "colors" the actual overdrive sound of my Black Pearl just a tad but the Howler does not. It's designed to sag the circuit. Once I found the sweeet spot for my amp, it adds just the right creamy overdrive at a lower volume than naturally achievable with my amp. I love both pedals and they work well together; I'll use them singly or in tandem depending on what I'm trying to achieve. These are the only pedals plus the boost that came with the amp that I'm currently using; good with single coils or humbuckers.
    (all I currently need is a chorus maybe and a delay)

14. Ipressthebutton

Ipressthebutton Member

Analogman TS9 Silver, early small box Barber Tone Pump and I recently got a Sarno Music Solutions Dirt Box that is very transparent with low gain settings.

15. lifeinsong

lifeinsong Member

RC Booster, Red Snapper

16. guitardr

guitardr Silver Supporting Member

17. vhollund

vhollund Member

I find RC booster "transperant"

18. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

get yourself a blues driver. you can also mod it for some better, more responsive tones.