• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

“Transparent” overdrive pedal?

SFW

Ok, so I am on a quest for a transparent overdrive. All I want to add is just a bit more grit to the sound. My TS9 bumps the mids and cuts bass. My MIJ SD1 bumps the mids. My Snouse Black Box does something funky with the mids that I cannot dial out and that the original Blues Breaker did not do. So I’m trying to find the most tonally transparent overdrive that I can. I welcome any suggestions. Maybe a Klone? What do you guys recommend?

LaceSensor1

Silver Supporting Member
Klone is transparent until you start adding gain in.

Wampler euphoria won't mess with your eq but does have that screamer sag in the smooth mode. The open mode is less compressed. Granted if you start cranking the gain, bass, and treble it will be mid scoopy and fuzzy.

RC
Timmy

I would start with these 2.

sanfi4u

Gold Supporting Member
Ok, so I am on a quest for a transparent overdrive. All I want to add is just a bit more grit to the sound. My TS9 bumps the mids and cuts bass. My MIJ SD1 bumps the mids. My Snouse Black Box does something funky with the mids that I cannot dial out and that the original Blues Breaker did not do. So I’m trying to find the most tonally transparent overdrive that I can. I welcome any suggestions. Maybe a Klone? What do you guys recommend?
Original Blues Breaker is transparent enough and that's not the case for Snouse Blues Breaker? Do you mean original Snouse BB big box? AFAIK it's an exact clone of the BB circuit. It's kind of strange. May be you can try Snouse BlackBox OD2? It's very versatile, even has a boost mode and currently on sale for $139? Mine can be dialed very transparent. Another transparent BB is VFE Blues King.
As for the other options I'd say Dr. Scientist The Elements, Timmy, Honey Bee, VFE Pale Horse. Rimrock MO or Chellee Ponyboy if you want a klone. Both can be very transparent with the gain dialed low.

TCMx3

I really like my Greer Lightspeed.
close, closest yet in fact, but still no cigar.

I mostly use mine with a Rocket clone I recently acquired and it's the closest to turning up. But, the truth is I think, that it's impossible for a pedal to give you more clipping and sound exactly like your amp unless it was designed to be run into your amp specifically and sound exactly like your amp but more. There is going to be some EQ/filtering with anything that adds gain. And as your amp increases in gain, the EQ changes too. So to some degree, if you want to sound like your amp but louder, and your amp clips at all, you sort of need those changes to exactly mirror how your amp does, which is hardly consistent between amp models. The Rocket's clipping is way different than my 45/100, and totally different than the farty melting down glory of my 5E3.

here's my thing about klons. I don't like buffered bypass very much in pedals; I run dedicated buffers at the in and out stage of my board. BUT, there really is something special about that circuit into something that's going; it just magically turns the gain up to the next level. It's totally different than running it into a clean amp; the dirtier the amp the more extra gain you seem to get when you turn it on, even at unity. I think that's part of why it's such a classic pedal.

Anyway there are a couple of great low gain pedals that all fit in this discussion too; Pettyjohn Chime is a GREAT low gainer, Thorpy Peacekeeper, Rocket Blue Note. FWIW I have owned two Timmys (still own the second) and hate the pedal even though I love the concept and I think PaulC is a rad dude.

Trending Topics