• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Transparent Slapback Delay advice needed

scott1568

I use a Gretsch with single coils, and a Guild hollow-body with single coils straight into a Tweed Bandmaster 5E7 clone that I built....(love that amp).

Echo Pedal Problem: I've tried a boutique slap-back echo pedal that would emulate old 50's style , tape delays, etc. , but I found it added mids too much.

We play roots rock live regularly and I would like a more transparent (and less expensive ) delay be it digital or not..... (what sounds great at home sometimes does not translate to live very well).

I am looking for a more transparent tone that does not try to emulate old tape units, etc....any help would be appreciated.

thanks!

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Lot of people like analog delays for slapback but I like the way my Boss DD-3 does slapback delay which I find is more transparent than a Analog delay.

bgmacaw

I've tried a boutique slap-back echo pedal
Which one?

You probably do want a digital delay because analog ones are going to affect your tone somewhere because that's a big part of their appeal. I don't care for digital slapback myself but some people use it.

scott1568

It was a nice one...an Echo Jr. from Pharoah Amps...
Loved it at home, but I became too dependent on that mid boost when playing live and didn't want to to shut it off ...even when I did not want delay.

rsmith601

Vendor
Either we or someone in our community could perhaps create and post such a preset based on our Nemesis slapback engine. We will discuss tomorrow .

Pedro58

Silver Supporting Member
I have a tweed clone and I love the Keeley Memphis Sun for slap back and verb. On the cheap, I sometimes use an old Dan Echo. Neither of them are perfectly transparent, but the Keeley sounds fantastic.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
The Way Huge Aqua Puss is the usual choice. I think analog is a good choice but understand the tone can be an issue.
Is there an analog delay with a tone knob?

bassethound

The Retro Sonic delay has a tone knob. It does a great slap back in my humble opinion.

The Way Huge Aqua Puss is the usual choice. I think analog is a good choice but understand the tone can be an issue.
Is there an analog delay with a tone knob?

TelePrankster

If you don't want to affect your tone DON'T buy an Aqua Puss or at least try one before. The limited headroom in the circuit tent to cause degradation of the repeats (which sounds good) even at low input levels. If you want something more clean try a Boss DM-2, DM-2W or DM-3 or go digital with a DD-3/5/7.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Look around on line for a used Digitech Hardwire DL8 - it has a pre-set position for slapback that is so very easy to use and adjust within that setting. A used one will be very affordable and the math happening inside the Digitech Harwire pedal is substantial, resulting in very musical delays. I also picked up a Mooer AnaEcho, which for $99. new, sounds great (not too dark at all for analog delay on the repeats) and it's a mini-size pedal. Good Hunting.

Herb Utsmelz

'Tis what 'tis
Silver Supporting Member
I like my CMAT Deeelay. It's digital and voiced to be very neutral. Even works well with gain.

Trending Topics