Transporting your guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RobDaglish, May 24, 2020.

1. RobDaglish

RobDaglish Member

I’m sitting with the kids today as the Mrs is recovering from night shift, and the easiest way to keep them quiet as I’ve got a migraine starting is TV. We’re currently watching ‘Katie Morag’ and her twin uncles (who are supposedly successful and famous musicians) have turned up on the island to do a gig. No issue with any of that, except they’ve turned up coming across the sea in a small fishing boat with a pair of acoustic guitars on their backs without a case or gigbag on... surely everyone has a bag/case/cardboard box they keep their instrument in?

which leads me to my question- when it comes to transporting your guitar, what’s your choice, and why?

2. guitargod0dmw

guitargod0dmw Member

If I’m the only one handling it, gig bag all day every day. I’ve been using Mono stuff for years now and I’ve never had an issue.

If someone else was doing the handling I could see a hard case being a better option.

derekd and sixesandsevens like this.
  3. jekylmeister

jekylmeister Supporting Member

While I have nothing against gig bags, and I'm sure there are some very good ones, I have had at least two experiences in my life where I'm pretty sure that a hard shell case saved a guitar from serious damage. One was a slipping-on-ice incident and my case hit the ground hard - no damage at all. So, I'm a HSC guy. I acknowledge that they take up more space and storage, but a HSC is as required as strap locks on my guitars. YMMV.

Bob Pollock likes this.
  4. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Silver Supporting Member

I use a gig bag for my bass, but all my old guitars came with hard cases. They've survived that way for a long time, so I never saw the need to make a change. I don't gig much anymore anyway. If my cases crap out I'd consider bags for my Fenders.

Good luck with your migraine.

5. DiAmoroso

DiAmoroso Member

Now a days, I have a hard case for each of my guitars.

In my early 20s, while cutting my teeth playing acoustic gigs, I had no case/bag at all. I didn’t have a car at the time, so mostly just walked where I needed to go and played the guitar during the walk. Occasionally I’d sling the guitar over my back and ride my bicycle. One time at least the guitar strap slipped off the strap button, and the guitar feel headstock first to the ground. This was a sub $400 Ibanez acoustic guitar, and when I got back to pick it up, I was surprised to find not much more than a dent. In fact, the guitar was pretty much in tune still. Not sure the point of this story, but the thread just made me think of that!

6. sixesandsevens

sixesandsevens Member

+1

7. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I'm a gigbag guy.

Even when I was gigging an old ES175, I had a nicely padded Reunion Blues back for it.

Never any issues.

8. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Well it all depends. When the guitars need to long-distance travel with my rig altogether on a truck with other gear and being moved by hired help, hard cases or flight cases all the way for everything.

If the instrument is going to be on me, in hand as I arrive, I'll generally opt for a fabric soft case. I hate the name "gig bag" for a guitar, which is a total industry misnomer. It's a soft case. A gig bag is a small rectangular fabric travel bag with a pair of zippers across the top. The guitar goes into a soft case. All the accompanying stuff you need for a local gig besides the guitar itself - cords, straps, picks, tools, lead sheets, tuner, batteries, etc. - all go into the 'gig bag'.

9. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

I'm a hard case.................................guy.