Traveling below the equator with a Git....

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by guitarplayaman, Jul 31, 2008.

1. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

I have some concerns about taking a Strat below the equator. Every time I've taken a guitar to a distant destination the neck goes a bit haywire after a few days.

I'm headed to the Philipinnes soon and am concerned about taking a strat because the neck will have to be removed to get at the truss rod. Last time I went I took a GMP with a baseball bat for a neck and the action went super low almost to the point of not being able to play after a few days....need some advice from the real road warriors out there.

2. flavorengine

flavorengine Member

i always take an extra $200 and buy a guitar, then before i leave, i'll give it to the kid that shows the most interest.

winning hearts and minds with axes-not guns

3. Luke

Luke Senior Member

How about taking a guitar that has the truss rod nut on the headstock so it is easier to adjust?

4. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

Flavor that is a great idea but gear selection over there is pretty bad...as are my finances at the moment lol.....last time I was there didn't find anything from the local shop that was decent for 200 bucks.

Luke good idea but the music I will be playing is vintage 60's clean tone stuff and it just begs for a strat....

5. Luke

Luke Senior Member

Buy a Hamer Daytona

6. morlll

morlll Member

I'd prefer Guitars not Guns.

Axes really hurt. Remeber people don't kill people axes kill people.

7. Tweedledee

Tweedledee Member

If you're taking just about any guitar from one climate to another where the humidity and/or temperature are quite different, it's going to affect the neck and you will have to make truss rod adjustments. If you're going to take a Strat with a truss rod adjustment at the heel, then you're just going to have to be comfortable with taking off the neck and giving it a tweak to get everything back to normal once the guitar adjusts to the new climate. There's not really any way around it if the climate changes are drastic.

To make it easy on yourself bring a capo with you. Once the neck adjusts to the new climate, give the strings a little slack, put on the capo at the first fret, unscrew the neck, give the truss rod a tweak in whichever direction is necessary to correct the problem, reattach the neck, take off the capo, and tune back to pitch. It only takes a couple of minutes.

8. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

now that is excellent advise tweedle....

if the tendency is for the action to get real low in the new climate which way do i turn the truss rod and how much?

9. Raymund

Raymund Member

Changing fast from one climate to another: no other choice than to make truss rod adjustments. Otherwise no problems to be expected. High humidity is pretty good for the guitars, just the hardware is not so happy about (PU cover hazing etc.)

10. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

Hmmmm, I don't think the Philippines are in the Southern Hemisphere, but just slacken the strings a little and acclimatise it a bit when you get there.

11. Bhodie

Bhodie Member

When you go to the southern hemisphere, remember to "windmill" in reverse while playing to compensate.. :dude

12. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

Yes I was thinking that the Philippines might just be in the northern hemisphere too!

I live in the southern hemisphere and yes, it's true that everything is the other way around here. We drive on the left, our heads spin anti-clockwise when drunk and guitar truss-rods turn the other way to tighten. That's why Fender make guitars especially for the southern hemisphere and the Philippines (honorary sounthern hemisphere country). We have to buy reverse headstock guitars so that they look the right way around when they get here.

13. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Yes, there are plenty of Strats that have that.

14. JimmyR

JimmyR Member

You think you have it bad - I live here!

15. guitarplayaman

guitarplayaman Member

this has turned into a complete debacle...loves it.

16. Cosmik de Bris

Cosmik de Bris Member

The good thing about the southern hemisphere is that your head is at the top of your body meaning you don't get that rush of blood to the head that is so common at the bottom of the Earth.

17. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

When you go to the southern hemisphere you will need to change to a left-hand guitar (unless you are left-handed, then vice versa).

18. jeffwith1f

jeffwith1f Member