Travelling with effects pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by honduras, Mar 24, 2008.

1. honduras

honduras Supporting Member

I will shortly be returning to the UK after 5 months in Phoenix. During my stay in the US I have bought 4 pedals from various TGP members and I am trying to decide the best way to transport them home, given currently stringent security regulations. My preference would be to pack them in my suitcase and check this in the baggage hold. I'm slightly nervous about the fact that I will have to leave my case unlocked to comply with TSA regulations and I don't really want some heavy handed security agent disturbing my carefully packed pedals if they show up in the baggage scanner.

Has anybody got any experience of this sort of thing and could offer advice?

2. playon

playon Supporting Member

You'll probably be OK but if you are really paranoid about it, why not just ship them home through the post office?

3. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

just curious to know which pedals are those four?

4. honduras

Menatone KOTB, Menatone Workingman's Blue, Jetter Gainstage Blue and Arion SCHZ. I also have a Lovepedal 200lbs of Tone on the way.

5. thisfire

thisfire Supporting Member

I really wouldn't worry about the TSA messing with your packing job. I've never personally flown with pedals but I can't imagine that they would give you any trouble at all as long as they are in your checked luggage. Like playon said though, if you're that worried, just pack them up and ship 'em via USPS.

6. danel59

danel59 Member

I have flown a few times with my pedals in my suitcase and no problems. What I would suggest is to take the manuals or brochures to show the security what they do as well as make sure as long as they run on batteries that you have good batteries and be prepared to plug a short guitar cable in to them to show that it really works.

Dan

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

I've flown around the country many times with pedals in checked baggage. Only once did I have a problem and it was a doozy. They completely smashed my POD and refused to pay for it.

I'd ship them to be safe.

8. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've carried pedals and a Steinberger guitar onboard and not had any problems (seems they can tell the difference between a guitar and a bomb after all). I'd carry them with the manuals and a spare screwdriver in case they want to pop the lids...

9. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I've done it all three ways. I live in Norway, have travelled a lot in the US (I'm american) and have sent peals home via post office, packed them in my unlocked checked in bag, and carried pedals in my hand baggage.

Since there are 4, I think hand baggage would be too much to carry. Have heard recently that here in Oslo, baggage handlers have been stealing more and more because of unlocked bags from the US, I would recommend sending to yourself (check "gift" in the form on the package...since they are used the value can be anything). It usually takes very little time, if there is one you can't wait at home for, take it as hand baggage.

10. thezeng

thezeng Member

i brought 4 pedals home from singapore in a plastic bag inside my softcase suitcase. nothing happened :D

11. Seegs

Seegs Member

you can check gift and declare the lowest value all you want...when you ship em home you will be most likely be subject to taxes and duty which in Germany is 23%...I'd say shipping em home is not an option unless you don't mind paying the fees...

I would take the batteries out and maybe split them up...pack a few in my checked bags and carry 1 or 2 on...

I've carried pedals home from Germany and have packed em in my suitcase with no problems...I've also carried one MXR size pedal with me in my carry on baggage and in the pocket of my gigbag with no problems...

Chow,
    Seegs

12. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Take them in a carry-on - usually what I do for fly gigs.

13. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

Yeah they know what they are looking for and pedals are not on the list. I've been cool with carry-on pedal boards many times.

14. Bantha

Bantha Member

I flew to the UK in 2004 and carried on a pedalboard with 9 pedals on it in a soft case. Had no problems other than the TSA in Dallas wanted me open it up for them after it went through the scanner....turned out he was a player and wanted to check out my board. I also have flown to Nashville and had no problems carrying on my smaller board.

15. honduras

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

16. theatomicjeff

theatomicjeff Member

Only 4 pedals? I think I'd put them in my carry-on.

17. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Best thing to do is call TSA. Or rather check their website for what you can carry on. I fly international monthly and always carry electronics with me. especially small ones. Think about it. When your in line at the security check point, just about every other person has a laptop, iPod, mini DVD movie player, Digital Camara etc. Two months ago, I was checking in and my designated carry-on had to be checked in due to another odd item that had to be carried on. I didn't think much about it but when I arrived at my destination, my digital camara and charger was gone! Thanks to TSA and their "unlocked baggage rule", allows for any other person down the line(airline baggage handlers), access looking for a five finger discount. The small items WILL disappear. When you stand in line at the check point, just be sure to pull them out of your bag and set them on top prior to the scan. It shows you have nothing to hide and if they give you a hard time(I don't see that happening though), your argument is everyone else's comp, dig cam, etc. You can also tell them the last time you flew, you checked in pedals and they were stolen.

My advice obviously is to carry them on but if you have to put them in checked baggage, slide them into socks and bury them in the middle or toward the bottom of your suitcase. My belief is when someone wants to snag something, they don't have that much time. So they quickly open a suitcase or two until they see something small and valuable floating on the top. This was the case with my camera.

I hope this helps and let us know how it goes.
    Gary

If you have to chec

18. mrodrigues

mrodrigues Member

Hey

I study music here in Boston and travel home to South Africa regularly.

I bought the following:

"Travel Sentry locks - for travel to the USA"
    which allows "American security personnel to examine the luggage without damage to lock or bag"

So you set your code, but it has a master key hole at the bottom. So any official can open it.

It is approved by the appropriate authorities.

Worst case - they cute the lock. Oh well!!

Matt

19. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Don't carry a screwdriver.

20. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

I've carried on a Pedaltrain Jr with 7 pedals and put it in the overhead...no problem.