travis picking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Brian hammond, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

anyone out there recommend a good lesson for travis picking to begin with? really digging into rockabilly lately ... my lead chops are decent with a pick but I have never been a fingerpicker.

2. ieso

ieso Member

The Art Of Contemporary Travis Picking Paperback – January 1, 1992
    by Mark Hanson (Author)

3. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

4. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

thanks bro. lol. think I will steer clear of the paperback rack...

5. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

Fingerstyle guitar by Ken Perlman. If you can make it through half of this book, you can kickass at fingerpicking. I believe you can google page 30 from this book and see a list of various patterns in different keys that basically covers everything. There is also an "advanced" version if you are brave.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  6. guitarno

guitarno Supporting Member

+1 on Mark Hanson. He is an awesome fingerpicker & instructor, in whatever format. He has some instructional DVD's available also.

7. 6tringer

6tringer Member

Truefire has a couple of courses by Tommy Emanuel. They are very good. In the introductory course he goes in-depth into the basics. Very good for building a solid foundation. I have these courses as well as the Mark Hanson books, which are also excellent. Have fun! It's a great style to play.

Brian hammond likes this.
  8. datsun

datsun Member

That was a CU Next Tuesday reply to people just trying to help you out, BRO

ieso likes this.
  9. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

no, I looked and couldn't find the book ,I'm at work at the moment ,I thought maybe u were pulling my leg, I always appreciate any help and people who take time to help a stranger. I will try to resear,h it again but I'm a Paramedic on a ambulance and things move quickly here.

10. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Just youtube for basics... than find some tab to practice and be disciplined in your practice to make sure you're using the right fingers (thumb for strings 4-6 and index, middle, ring fingers for for strings 3-1 in the order I listed.

From there you can find a lot of free sheet music, I did learn TP from a book though I can't recall the book atm I'm at work.

Incan recommend tabs out there to learn songs like Landslide (my first TP tune) Blackbird, Dust in The Wind

11. russintexas

russintexas Member

This is the one. Short book, maybe 40 pages. Get a metronome and spend many months with this book. Once your right hand is flowing with these lessons, you'll be able to do whatever you need.

Brian hammond and ieso like this.
  12. quinnster

quinnster Member

You mention rockabilly as your travis picking influence. Transcribe/find transcriptions of Danny Gatton. Hybrid may be the way to go if you are already comfortable with picking.

13. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

What's the Travis feature on Will The Circle Be Unbroken? That'd be a good lesson.

14. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

He uses to melody to "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" to illustrate how to add melodies and embellish them. The next section of the book on Merle's technique is a nice addition also.

15. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

hybrid IS the way I'm really thinking about going with this as rockabilly is what I'm interested in. I believe I can pretty much use same reference material just pick the thumb parts with my pick and use the other 3 for the higher parts. I have never really "fingerpicked"so it's a train wreck at the moment lol,but I really like the idea of the challenge of something new. I bought the steve travoto scotty moore dvd and will give that a try ,so we'll see!

16. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

I'm talking about the showpiece Merle plays on the Dirt Band album.

17. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

[QUOTE="No_Stairway, post: 27764306, member: 198568]

Incan recommend tabs out there to learn songs like Landslide (my first TP tune) Blackbird, Dust in The Wind[/QUOTE]

No disrespect intended but are those considered TP style songs? Landslide and Dust especially are just straight up fingerpicking. TP features alternating bass with melody.

DGA and Brian hammond like this.
  18. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

do you think this book is good for rockabilly / 50 s style picking?that's what I'm after... reviews seem to not use those description s. more folk acoustic ki n thing
    No disrespect intended but are those considered TP style songs? Landslide and Dust especially are just straight up fingerpicking. TP features alternating bass with melody.[/QUOTE]
    yeah,, that was my thought too I'm not interested in folk or classic 70 s rock stuff so much as the rockabilly. 50 s scotty moore stuff

19. thebowl

thebowl Member

Ken Perlman's book is what did it for me. Getting your thumb to "decouple" from your fingers can be really hard at first. For that reason I would avoid tunes that are complex, to begin with. One doesn't learn to swim in the deep end, assuming that one desires to swim for many years. KISS applies here.

russintexas and Brian hammond like this.