travis picking

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by Brian hammond, Jan 3, 2019.

1. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

2. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

yep,, I agree,, that's why I'm looking for a solid place to start.. been playing a while and can shred w a pick but fingerpicking is a train wreck ! gonna go w the hybrid approach as that is what is see and hear that really gets ut for me.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

You can learn a lot of guitar things if you are blissfully ignorant of how 'difficult' they supposedly are.
    Have you ever picked up the Scruggs book? Learning a 'roll' or two would help your Travis playing.

Brian hammond likes this.
  4. No_Stairway

No_Stairway Supporting Member

Fair enough, reckon I don't know much rockabilly, tunes just country TP songs (including the TP learning book I have) and never ment to insult your intelligence. If you already know how to play fingerstyle all good, I was just suggesting some easy ones for someone completly new to any style of fingerpicking. I always get bored with book lessons after a while and look for tunes to practice.

5. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

I've noticed and loved the power of being blissfully ignorant as far as guitar playing goes at time too ! some of the things that appear the hardest I pick right up and then some stoopit simple thing hangs me up !hahhaha... thanks I will try to look I to the Scruggs sir.

guitarjazz likes this.
  6. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

oh sir ,no no insult at all ! I appreciate you taking ur time to help someone u don't even know ! I Def get thT learning fingerpicking like u suggested could be great. but it is not exactly like I am after.. I am focused on mors of the Scotty Moore, rockabilly thing at the moment. thanks for replying .I'm sorry if I insinuated anything remotely related to being insulted ,I ,of course ,am not .

7. mastercaster

mastercaster Member

Can't go wrong for Rockabilly with Jason Loughlin's TrueFire courses. Or Walter Broes.
    Focus on Travis Picking is a great intro course for rockabilly style fingerpicking moves.

8. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

I got his 50 rockabilly licks you must know dvd and travis picking is in there but it doesn't break it down into a way for someone who has no fingerpicking experience. I need to get the very basics slowly then get into more advanced patterns. now , the single string, lead guitar with a pick stuff I'm all over that ,pick it up quick ,but as I have said before, my right hand for fingerpicking and travis picking is train wreck. ! Hahahaha BUT it's GONNA GET BETTER !!!

9. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

10. Brian hammond

Brian hammond Member

Hahahaha. ,Yeah I'll just start with that w no experience hahahhaa! should take about 45 minutes Im thinking to go from NO fingerpicking at all to having that worked out..maybe an hour.... just kidding ,that's gonna be a while b4 im up to that. it's a cool peice for sure but I believe gonna have to metaphorically crawl across 3 parking lots of broken glass before I play that ! I'm thinking more like Mystery train by Scotty Moore w Elvis as starting point . thank you for showing me that tho !

11. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Do you use Amazing Slow Downer? You might amaze yourself. It just takes patience. With ASD Merle will play it as slow as you want.

12. russintexas

russintexas Member

I'll say it one more, get the Hanson book. Ignore the fact that you're playing basic folk tunes through the book; spend the hours and months with a metronome, and you'll be able to play the Scotty Moore stuff, because this is the kind of material he got it from originally.

Brian hammond and Blahfingers like this.
  13. Blahfingers

Blahfingers Member

A big +1 for the Hanson book(s). They're perfect if you have no clue for starting with (like I did when I started).

Then another big plus for Ken Perlman (Advanced Fingerstyle Guitar). Only do that when you feel good enough. It's much trickier but you get MUCH better if you can work through it.

You also get some great ideas for fashionable haircuts from the Perlman book too. ;)

14. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

This book kicked my ass. I have fluency and independence in all of my fingers(Where thumb is for the e/A and a finger for each of the 4 below) but getting the timing down and speed was difficult.

Brian hammond and Blahfingers like this.
  15. Blahfingers

Blahfingers Member

Me too, but I find I struggled more with the left hand than the right. Some really hard chord fingerings and single note lines in there. Totally agree about the timing. It's good training for some different time signatures and syncopation.

Mayo5 likes this.