Traynor Bassmaster, a good deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by co-intelpro, Dec 16, 2005.

1. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I have the chance to buy an old Traynor Bassmaster YBA-1 from 1966 for $400 CAD, including shipping. This one has a very low serial number and a few knicks, but it has the Traynor script logo, 7025A tubes, and a 5AR4 Rectifier. IS this a good deal?

2. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

These amps kck serious ASS!!!!!!!
    Do it

3. axpro

axpro Member

A tube rectified YBA-1? must be early, as all i have seen (and that is quite a few) haave been SS rectified. $400 canadian shipped sounds a little bit steep, but the price on these has been skyrocketing, i remember i bought my first yba-1 used in 97 or so for $200 canadian, but withthe prices i have seen of late, that is pretty much market (if it IS a tube rect'd... it is a good deal! very rare!) They make great chassis to put bassman and JCM800 circuits in, or in that very rare case, you canactually play it! I remember Trace at Voodoo used to mod a lot of these, and i am sure Mr. Fuchs has seen more than his fair share....

I say go for it!
    :dude

4. sundaypunch

sundaypunch Member

Hell yes that's a good deal as long as nothing is messed up. It would be $500+ US on ebay.

I have a '68 YBA-1 and it really is a Marshall in a super ugly package :D

5. fakeox

fakeox Member

Heluva deal! It shouldn't need mods, just a recap. Use it for a while before you do anything drastic.

6. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna do it, but I'll be in the poor house. I just spent $500 CAD on 2 amps and a pedal. I bought a Silvertone Twin Twelve, a Symphonic Canadian amp with 2 6v6s, 5Y3 rec, and a 1x15, and finally an Ibanez AD80 in fantastic shape, and this was all for $500 Canadian! Unbeliveable deal!

Well, another deal has come my way, I just can't pass it up! The tube rectified Bassmaster is rare, and the serial number on this thing is in the 500's...my wife is gonna kill me.

7. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I spent $450 US for my 1966 Bassmaster. Great amp, period. It is WAY worth the money. Sounds as good if not better than some boutique amps I've played at 3-4x the cost. I gave my bro a 1968 model that he has been using on the road (a lot) and hasn't had a single problem with it. A serious vintage bargain, which is pretty rare these days.

8. Tapp

Tapp Member

I'd say go for it! Tube rectified YBA1's are hard to find these days. I bought one and converted it to a JTM45 with KT66's and all. Tone and bottom for days!

If you get it, be sure you or a tech check to see if it has all of it's socket pins. Mine does not have pin 1 so I do not run EL34's in my amp. It was originally outfitted for 7027's which is a 6L6 variant.

Tapp

9. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Do it....you will not find a 66 for cheaper. I have owned 5 old Traynors from 68-73 and they were all great amps. A 66 with tube Rect. if the holy grail of Traynors.....you get to be a honorary Canadian with purchase too.

10. axpro

axpro Member

:BITCH HOW EASY DO YOU THINK IT IS TO BECOME CANADIAN!!!!! BUY AN AMP?!?!?!?! LET ME TELL YOU FRIEND...

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A TOQUE TOO!!!!
    :AOK and eat some bacon, the good kind... back bacon.... mmmmmmmm
    although side bacon is okay witha lttle maple syrup.... mmmm mapley bacon goodness <drooool>

11. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

Honourary Canadain?? I am Canadian!..I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for Christ's sake!! Ya, I am buying it, borrowed money and all!! I also own a '69, not rectifier tube, but it sounds awesome!!

12. axpro

axpro Member

Amd I'll bet you own a toque and eat bacon!

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

We've had many discussions here in the past on the venerable YBA-1. I have yet to meet someone who copped one and didn't like it. No doubt, the most sought-after ones are the earlier tube rectified ones but that may be a function of supply and demand (much fewer of the earlier ones were built) as much as tone. I own one of the later ones with the solid state rectifier and love it specifically because the circuitry yields a tone that is less "'authentic 60's Marshall" and more "Marshall meets HiWatt." But truly, either way, how can you go wrong?!

Silberman faceplate optional. ;)

[​IMG]

14. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I do own a toque, and I do like bacon, but who doesn't? I think alot of people in the US own toques and eat bacon, and eat more bacon than myself and anyone else I know. The toques, by the way, are called beanies in the States (kinda like bunny hugs/ hoodies). They have them, but have a different name for them.

I think what sets us apart are block heaters, low gun violence, excessive snow and cold, and vintage boutique-y amps that are cheap as borsch!

15. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

Grady Johnson (Big Sugar) starts all his shows with 'Oh Canada' , and plays Traynors when he can (both old and new). He has been known to get an awesome tone plugging in a Garnet Herzog (the 'original' tube distortion unit - the 'american woman' tone) into an old Traynor Custom special (4-6ca7s) amp into 1 or 2 4x12 cabs....
    Traynor's old slogan back in the 60s was a play on the hydroelectric power shipped to the states: "Power from Canada!":D

16. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I think his name is Gordy, and I think his recent band is called 'Grady'. Also, I think he usually uses a Garnet Herzog into SVT Bass amps, but I could be wrong. I think he started out using alot of Traynors though. BTW, The "Power from Canada" thing is pretty funny.

17. BTO

BTO Member

I'm thinkin' a thread on a classic Canadian amp is a good time for my first post.;)

Definately go for the Traynor, you won't be disappointed. I'm a Garnet man myself (hence my handle...I do have a Garnet BTO).

I've noticed the popularity and price on these Canuck gems steadily going up in the last while. Best to grab them while the grabbing's good.:AOK

18. jonny guitar

jonny guitar Member

Hey there is a Garnet 3X12 on Vancouver's Craiglist for cheap...would look mighty nice with your BTO.

19. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

You're correct on all accounts...I did see some pics on his website where he jammed at a small club in Austin with a new Traynor combo.
    But his big sugar rig was as you said, and he'd play a Gibson double neck 6 - 12 string SG, with huge strings, tuned down to C. Never saw 'em, but word was they were insanely loud :eek:

20. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I love Garnet too, I have 2 Rebel heads (a rebel II and a rebel deluxe), a 2x12, a Gnome, a Rev II combo, and I just sold a Sessionman Vocal System Reverb head on ebay. I am looking for a BTO and a Herzog, got any spares lying around?