Traynor Bassmaster VS. Fender Bassman

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ancient, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ancient

ancient Member

Is there any point in owning both... Which do you prefer, and why?

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Which Fender Bassman are you referring to? There's a big difference between a 5F6 and an AB165.

AL

3. ancient

ancient Member

I guess the Black Face or Silver Face with BF circuit.

4. AL30

AL30 Member

I'd say yes... for both circuits. The YBA-1 is closer to the older bassman amps (5F6 etc) but there certainly are differences.

If I had a choice I'm not sure which I would take. I love the bassman - BF and SF circuits as well as the '59 circuit (I own a couple bassman amps). I don't own a YBA-1 but I do have a few Traynors and they have their place as well and are easily as durable as an old Fender. You can't go wrong with either one.

I would certainly take the older Traynor over any new Fender.

AL

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I don't think there's a problem getting tubes to make a BF Bassman OR a YBA-1 sound good (modern or vintage, 6L6s, EL34s and 12AX7s aren't running out any time soon). The YBA-1 has EL34s, which tend to give a smoother distortion to my ears, but bigger iron which makes for more clean overhead. They are different, and since the YBA-1 can be modded into a Plexi with little effort (and no big loss to the collectable community) I'd recommend owning both!

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

I think the only Bassman that compares to the YBA-1 Traynor is the #864. Earlier Bassman sound much different and later Bassman don't sound nearly as good as the 864's. I would have either in a minute. I have had both.

7. Clutch21286

Clutch21286 Member

You can't go wrong either way. They are both exceptional amps.