traynor bassmate... is it Bandaxall typed?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by axpro, May 15, 2015.

1. axpro

axpro Member

Hey guys,

I always have trouble with Traynors tone stacks, especially the ones that aren't DRAWN like the normal fender/marshall style.

Working on my Bassmate, have it about 80% there... I like a lot of Bass, but this is WAY too much, especially with the 15" speaker. (it sounded AWESOME with a 12.... but I want to keep it stock)

I am planning on reducing signal caps from .1 to .022 on the first and second preamp stage. Was thinking of changing a few values in the tone stack, but looking at the schematic always throws me for a loop.

Any ideas for mods? Mine is closest to the third schematic in this PDF. I have already switched out the filter caps, and added a 3 prong plug. Don't want to make any big changes, as I do like the tone already, just need to get the bass under control, and add a little mids. Might figure out a cut control value to take the very top end off the amp, which gets a little shrill.

Thanks Gents!

http://www.0rigami.com/vb/traynor_bassmate_yba2_all.pdf

2. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Definitely not a Baxandall tone stack, although it is drawn like one. Sort of a bastid, at best. What comes to mind first is the fact that it has 2 gain stages prior to the volume. Not kosher in my world, and goes against the grain of any clean tone (but maybe you don't want that, who knows). I would move the volume control to R6 and go from there. (that's just me)

Your choking back the blocking caps is a good start for taming the bass, and rolling back the high end is a piece of cake, provided we are not talking about parasitic oscillation. That tone stack is a bit of a mess, so you will have a hard time "tuning" it.

Hope this helps.

3. axpro

axpro Member

Thanks Schmidlin, I was worried it was just me!

It is drawn all cockeyed lol.

I was really wanting to keep this amp pretty close to stock, cause with a 12ay7 in the preamp position and single coils it is AWESOME, just a little bit bassy and a little bit too much top end, unfortuantely 99% of my guitars have humbuckers which seem to make it both Boomier and the brightness seems worse...

I'll see what the cap change does...

4. axpro

axpro Member

AND THAT IS ALL SHE WROTE!.....

:D

Switched the blocking caps to .022 orange drops, and added a .002 orange drop in series with a 68k resistor to simulate a cut control post PI. The new blocking caps keep the bass a little easier to control with the stock tone stack, and the "Cut" shaves off the icepick edge of the high frequencies, letting a little more mids shine through. I even switched back to 12ax7's for the preamp. It's a little more aggressive overall too. In the HI input, dimed out, I can get a pretty convincing classic rock sound, kinda like an 18 watt marshall. into the LO input, it cleans up a little more and isn't as crazy. Both are very touch sensetive though, roll back the volume a touch, or switch to a lower gain pickup, and it cleans right up. Very nice. Now I just need to play some signal through it this weekend to work the speaker in. :) MUCH happier. and i didn't have to go medieval on the circuit. 2 components changed from stock values and the "Cut" preset are all i changed.

5. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Weird very crude control, it only provides for treble cut, and not a real Bass control either, no surprise it sounds muddy/boomy/bassy.
    Replace it with the excellent James (improperly called Baxandall) found in most Ampegs.
    Fat, defined, punchy, it has everything, plus:
    * has a true flat position
    * provides very smooth and symmetrical boost and cut.
    * it can easikly be built around what you already have.

You may even leave the Linear pots , no big deal, and sound won't change much by leaving the 500k treble pot instead of the proper 1M one.

Anything you make (even a simple Fender type control) will be miles ahead of what you have today.

6. axpro

axpro Member

To be honest it sounds good. I am a "set it and forget it" type player, it gets a sound i like and has enough tweakability to add a little bass or treble as needed. I've built a lot of amps over the years, and really prefer the Marshall type tone stack... but I wanted to keep this closer to stock.

7. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Running into a woofy 15 could be a big mistake. Find a good 15 and then correct the voicing, imo.
    An Emi Legend 151 is a good one.

8. axpro

axpro Member

Yup, I switched that out. lol. Just was doing the voicing with a 12 because the speaker was easier to get close to the bench to work on. after hearing the issues, I made the changes i mentioned while using the new legend speaker. It just translates way too much bass, even for me (a big bass fan!) Even with a bass guitar it was pretty unusable. Tightened up a few caps, added the cut control to tame the shrillness and voila! Sounds 100% better. Now to just find the "right" overdrive pedal... Something that punches up the mids nicely but doesn't re-introduce the shrill highs... and of course, something that doesn't hum like a bugger.

The idea is for this to be at my drummer's place for our "quiet" jam nights, when we don't go all crazy and super high gain. Would make a nice "guest amp" as well.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Check out a Bad Monkey and a Tonebone Classic.
    L&M:rolleyes::D