Traynor Darkhorse users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vangit, Feb 18, 2012.

1. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

There hasn't been a Darkhorse thread in a while. I'm looking for a new low wat amp for bedroom to pracitce level (do not need gig level) that takes pedals well. Any Darkhorse users care to give their thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

I had one for about 6 months last year. I was looking for a fender sounding mini amp and it does do that. I liked the tone of the 12AU7 power tube more than I did from the 6V6 (not that the 6V6 was bad, I really liked the crunch from the 12AU7). I found that the 6V6 setting wasn't quite loud enough to cut through with my (admittedly too loud) band so I went back to my Fender GDEC 3 for practice and sold the Darkhorse.

3. blahquaker

blahquaker Member

I love the Darkhorse for bedroom volume playing. I leave it in the pure mode 99% of the time, set mostly clean, and use a lot of fuzzes, chorus and reverb. never had a problem with any pedals in front of it.

4. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

How does it sound at normal fun/ practice levels? I don't need it for gigging. Looks for bedroom - practice levels

5. blahquaker

blahquaker Member

I really only play in my apartment, so I keep it at TV levels or below. it can get really quiet in the 2w mode, and the USA mode is quieter than the pure mode (but I prefer the pure mode). admittedly, I keep the master pretty low - I know some people around here don't like doing that. but as a pedal platform at low volumes, I think it sounds really good.

for reference, I'm using a wide closed-back 1x12 with an Eminence Private Jack.