1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Traynor Darkhorse users?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by vangit, Feb 18, 2012.

1. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

There hasn't been a Darkhorse thread in a while. I'm looking for a new low wat amp for bedroom to pracitce level (do not need gig level) that takes pedals well. Any Darkhorse users care to give their thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  2. nealpolitan

nealpolitan Member

I had one for about 6 months last year. I was looking for a fender sounding mini amp and it does do that. I liked the tone of the 12AU7 power tube more than I did from the 6V6 (not that the 6V6 was bad, I really liked the crunch from the 12AU7). I found that the 6V6 setting wasn't quite loud enough to cut through with my (admittedly too loud) band so I went back to my Fender GDEC 3 for practice and sold the Darkhorse.

3. blahquaker

blahquaker Member

I love the Darkhorse for bedroom volume playing. I leave it in the pure mode 99% of the time, set mostly clean, and use a lot of fuzzes, chorus and reverb. never had a problem with any pedals in front of it.

4. vangit

vangit Supporting Member

How does it sound at normal fun/ practice levels? I don't need it for gigging. Looks for bedroom - practice levels

5. blahquaker

blahquaker Member

I really only play in my apartment, so I keep it at TV levels or below. it can get really quiet in the 2w mode, and the USA mode is quieter than the pure mode (but I prefer the pure mode). admittedly, I keep the master pretty low - I know some people around here don't like doing that. but as a pedal platform at low volumes, I think it sounds really good.

for reference, I'm using a wide closed-back 1x12 with an Eminence Private Jack.