Traynor Fuchs mod

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by richsteele, Jan 30, 2008.

1. richsteele

richsteele Supporting Member

I have a traynor guitar mate 1x12 combo YMG-3 , I been reading about the Fuchs mod. Does anyone have any thoughts about it, thanks

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I could be wrong, but I think he stopped doing them.

3. richsteele

richsteele Supporting Member

I just send Fuchs an email yesterday and he is doing them again

4. daddyo

daddyo Guest

There is a section of hell where people who get their vintage Traynors modded sit and are forced to listen to recordings of GC teenagers playing Enter Sandman on Gorilla amps for all eternity.

5. lchyi

lchyi Member

Um... okay, I have no idea how that is productive to this thread but yea.

I have a Traynor YSR-1 Fuchs mod that I love. The ODs are great and produce some of creamiest overdrive known to man. The only thing I can't stand about my amp is the reverb which is borderline useless to me now (sounds metallic and unmusical). Andy has offered to look at it, but I'm really hesitant to send an amp I use all the time out, especially since the OD is so fun to play with :D.

Since I got my amp used from a member, I don't know of what went into the amp's mods but the cruddy reverb could very well be the amp's original reverb sound. However, I really miss that lush Fender style rvb that I had from my TRRI that makes literally everything you do sound that much better.

I don't know if he's charging what he used to but I think that it is a bargain considering you're getting crazy good tones for a fraction of the price.

6. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Just on the outside chance that this could be true, I'm putting my YBA-1A in it's original box....:nono

[​IMG]

7. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I understand both views that have been expressed in this thread.
    I have two Fuchs mods - a bassman & a DR - and they are great. I have played several Fuchs modded traynors, all were great and one in particular was stellar.
    I also have great respect for original Traynors.

IMHO, Fuchs-modding a traynor is much like Fuchs-modding a BF Fender - why bother? There are other ways to get a good chassis & good tranny as a base for a Fuchs than to make there be one less of these great amps in the world. Either find one already modded used, or talk to Andy about what he'll do and find a Musicman or Marshall or some other el-34, or else use a 6L6 like an SF Fender as the donor, and get a Fuchs mod based on an otherwise low-value amp. Just my opinion.

8. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

We are doing this on an extremely limited basis.

We now have a part time mod helper once again, but it is by appointment, depending on his schedule, and must be prearranged and set up prior to sending anything in. With the added products on our menu, our staff is running at the max right now.

Once again, I stress this is on a very limited basis.

9. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

Having had a mod and a production line Fuchs, I have to suggest you save up and look for a used production line ODS. Seriously.

10. lchyi

lchyi Member

Fishin's probably right. I've never heard a production line Fuchs save for a NAMM show (which isn't the best environment for the amp as it is), but I got my Traynor-modded head for $1k. That's not easy to beat...

11. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

I think AF is a great guy,but have a thought that people need to leave the remaining Traynors the heck alone.The Traynor I have sounds,how do I delicately put this,FINE just the way it is.

12. MikeMcK

MikeMcK Member

Well, let me be the politician and sit squarely on both sides of the fence...

I have two Fuchs-modded Traynors and they are both tremendous amps for the money. I had them modded because I had a bad habit of buying every Traynor I ran across, back when they were dirt-cheap.

I still have both, but I also have Traynors that I've spent time with, and they are great amps in their own right. I have an earlier GuitarMate (YGM-1) and I know the 3's are incredible too after a speaker swap.

I wish I knew of a more cost-effective way to get the end result you want, because the TGPers of the future will surely be lamenting the scarcity of Traynors.

13. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

they're still somewhat cheep,depending on where in the world you might be...

14. bhap2

bhap2 Member

I had a YB1A mod. It now belongs to the other guitarist in my band. That amp KILLS! If he ever wants to sell it I'll buy it back from him.

15. daddyo

daddyo Guest

It's also not really a mod, is it? I thought Andy pretty much guts the amp except for the trannies and tube sockets and rewires it.