Traynor Guitar mate reverb problem...

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by JDW3, Jun 5, 2006.

1. JDW3

JDW3 Member

I've got a '73 Traynor YGM-3 and the reverb is just humming. I unplugged the tank output and the reverb knob turns into a gain knob. Adding the gain of the reverb tube?

Does this sound like the tank is bad? The circuit itself appears to be working. With the tank plugged in there is no increase in gain.

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Try a new tube(s) first. After that check the cables.

AL

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

AL30 is correct, always start with the driver tube (and any other associated ones, e.g., if there's a return tube) and the cables.

4. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Check tube V6 first. Failing that, check for continuity on the reverb input and output. The reverb circuit on this amplifier isn't as well thought out as the Fender.

5. AL30

AL30 Member

6. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Great, thanks guys.

7. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

This sounds exactly like what mine does with the tank unplugged and my reverb does work. After you try swapping tubes out id also flip the tank over and check the small wires inside on the ends, sometimes they break off. Ive had it happen before and its a quick fix.

8. tdu

tdu Member

Mine was doing the exact same thing, but the amp took a massive ding during shipping and the tank broke. But the exact same thing was happening when I'd turn the knob on.

9. doctorx

doctorx Member

The reverb in my guitarmate did exactly the same thing, and it was a broken reverb tank.

BTW, I just put an Eminence Private Jack in my Guitarmate and holy smoke, it kicks ass!!

10. chuck_zc

chuck_zc Member

Is there a quick fix to increase the reverb quality. I've got the YGM4 and the verb begins to empty out if I go past three. Sorry for the hijack :)

11. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Ok, I've figured out that is 2 broken wires inside the reverb tank.

I went to a few different websites and none showed the exact tank, but some very similar. All Accutronics.

Is it absolutely neccesary to match the ohm rating to the stock tank? I'm thinking I can find an exact, but I don't feel like being on the phone all day looking.

I was going to try to resolder the wires, but they're pretty small!