Traynor Mark III Combo....updates and mods

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axemeister, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I know that the Traynor Bass Master is a favorite, but does anybody else have one of these 100 watt Traynor Mark III combos from the 1970's? My old original Mark III is ready for an overhaul and renovation, and I am thinking about tweeks. I am curious if anybody has any experience with mods and update suggestions on this fine old amp?

BTW, I have a couple of other Traynor combos too, where I have had the bright switch transformed into a mild boost

2. buchla300

buchla300 Member

How does this sound? I just got a YMG-4 (which sounds GREAT) and am thinking that the treble boost switch is possibly useless..

3. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I have one of those too. That is the 4x8 model. I just need some nice matched 8" speakers for mine.

The boost was a simple mod done to my guitar mate a few years ago. It is just a mild boost rather than the treble high switch.

4. Monroe

Monroe Guest

I have a 74... the head version. Built like a tank, and it does big clean really well. (I use it like I'd use a Twin Reverb) It's preamp has relatively low gain. Try it with JBL's or Weber Cali's.

If you are looking for hair, I have tried it through a 100-watt Weber MASS and the power amp sounds amazing when pushed, but without some kind of soak it's just way too load for most situations. A recent total recap of the electrolytics made it really come alive.

5. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

maybe I can help: I posted on this amp thread @ guitarscanada

I have the markIII head and love it...its going thru 2xblues' so I have to be carefull, but the sound is as good as any of my amps.
    my brother who builds amps has done the mods on mine {edwardamp.com}

HERE THEY ARE! : THE EDWARDAMP.COM JGL MODS! :

n.b . mod 2 is the mod for the neg. feedback reduction (it was not stated by Ed as so, just wanted to be clear.)

http://www.edwardamp.com/TraynorYGL-3AMKIIImod.pdf

hope you guys find these useful !
    take care

6. brothershamus

brothershamus Member

I got the head too! But my avatar 2x12 with vintage 30's are way to middy! Do you have the Weber Cali's? I need some speaker that would compliment the Traynor and a JTM45 clone. Got any suggestions?

7. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Thanks so much!! This is the sort of info I was seeking.

8. LesPaulMan

LesPaulMan Member

Only mod I can offer is that the combo version really needs a fan. The damn thing gets so hot, you could cook an egg it.

Not sure, but I believe the head version already has a built in fan?

9. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have the head and combo versions made in '73 and '74, respectively

The combo is running Eminence Cannabis Rexs, for speakers.

I don't use them regularly as I have too many amps at this point,
    but I really should get them recapped sometime, as one of the posters
    on this thread already mentioned.

10. Monroe

Monroe Guest

I am currently playing my head through a Marshall 1936 2X12 with two Weber Michigans with aluminum dust caps, but I'm sure Cali's or the new Neo's would be nice for cleans as well.
    However, that would not be my choice for rock tones. Maybe the venerable Silver Bell/Blue Dog combo (now that Ted Weber offers these in 75- and 100-watt versions) or a pair of G12-65's?

11. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

your welcome !

depends what tone you are looking for, these amps can be modded to do even more cleans: with 6l6's (rebias), and the fender tone stack mod.

for rock: I highly recommend and 4x12 greenback/rola sprk combo with this, also my blues sounds amazing with it (but its way more power, so I watch the volume/ gold's would do it), and the high power silver's/blues would I'm sure be great as well, never tried the celi 65's.

I was going to suggest, as I have mentioned above, some folks have done the fender tone stack mod, so it behaves alot more like fender tone, I did notice the bass/mid/treble dont influence too much change in tone, but I love the sound of this thing, so don't care to change it. It might be worth looking into and pretty simple I hear, any competent tech can get you there, if more fender is what you are after.

awesome amps: big power= big tone, I'm kinda going against the grain lately and not using my small power amps, and am enjoying my bigger amps alot more, but I do mostly studio stuff, and you could hardly let loose even a 50watter live these days. ymmv.

12. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

just a note:

the ygl mods I have listed takes the amp more out of the fender area and more into the marsh/voxy/more harmonic content area. I have really been enjoying its tone, but as mentioned, it could be made to stay in the fender area and made better with a better tone circuit and rebias for 6l6's/5881's.

yes, the head has a fan built in. its a great feature. these amps are bloody heavy and pretty indestructible, and still off the radar of most people.

mark my words, they will get more popular once people figure them out. (and I'm not trying to pump and dump. mine is staying put.).

terrific amps.

13. Monroe

Monroe Guest

I've seen several of these done up by guys like Andy Fuchs, as they are a great platform for a custom as well.

14. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Thanks for all of the input. As it is, my old MKIII has been working for more than ten years with no changes, and very little maintenance. My son has been using it for his band in conjunction with his bandmate's other amps. We do not crank it because it currently has Greenbacks which cannot take the wattage that this big tank puts out.

I am a Traynor collector of sorts since I also have a Guitar Mate and Studio Mate. Hard to sell these old standbys that I have owned for many years.

15. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Mk III's already sound good.
    Speakers always matter.

It is much easer to take a good amp and mess it up than make it better.

So, if you KNOW what you want, tonally, and how to get there with this amp, you might like your mods, but when you finish do an honest assessment and see if it is so radically different from your original tone choice and whether you could not have got there just by using a pedal.

16. ssdeluxe

ssdeluxe Member

very very good point, and I believe this as well, I can tell usually after getting a feel for an amp in real work situations. Then I know if it makes sense to mod...but so true, alot of time a design is the way it is for a reason ;)

my markIII did benefit, in this particular case. ymmv