Traynor sound quality

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by juh_sepp, Dec 16, 2009.

1. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

Just a question about the clean tones from the YCV20WR and/or YCV40WR. Did a search and saw terms like "sounds great" or "good for the money".

How would someone compare the cleans to Fender cleans, Marshall cleans, etc. Is this a close comparison or does Traynor have a sound of its own.

Hope to try one out soon if I can find one local, but any help is much appreciated.

Playing a AC15 right now.

Thanks

2. huutevar

huutevar Member

Well, I spent too long composing my reply and TGP logged me out, so here is my second take. The Traynor cleans are similar to Fender cleans. I think the YCV40 cleans lean more to the Hot Rod Deville sound than a Deluxe Reverb sound, but they are a little nicer sounding than the HRDV. The YCV40 overdrive can get into Marshall-ish territory but still retains a 6L6 eq sound. Curiously, I could never get a decent edge-of-breakup sound from it.

The YCV20 is, I guess, akin to the Blues Junior but without the harsh high frequencies. It's also class A, so it's a little fatter and not quite as loud at full volume than the BJ.

For my taste, I prefer the sound of the YCV80 over the other two, I guess because of the bigger lows. And because Traynor puts audio taper pots on their amps you can smoothly turn the volume down to 1, unlike Fenders, so playing the amp at bedroom levels is no problem.

3. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

I find Traynor cleans to be softer and more round than a Vox or Marshall. Smooth and warm as opposed to bright and shimmery. What kind of music do you play? If you do anything with a lot of gain, go for the YCV50 which has "British" voicing and a Master Volume as opposed to the "American" voicing of the 40 and 20 (think Fender-ISH as opposed to Fender-CLONE) with a Master Presence control. Many people mention Brian May when describing the tone of a YCV50. I opted for the YCV50 or the YCV40 because it sounded "bigger" to me and had a darker flavor... reminded me of Brian May lead tone and also Martin Barre. I use it as a backup now and gig with a YCV100H

4. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Oh yea, bedroom volume, good point huutevar, I use my YCV50 for a bedroom amp... yes! a 50watt bedroom amp! it sounds good at sub-conversation levels

5. TubezAmpz

TubezAmpz Member

in a house where I can actually turn my amp up a l
    the ycs series amps are great bedroom amps as well.

I believe Traynor invented the master volume.

6. juh_sepp

juh_sepp Member

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely will keep my eyes (and ears) open for a Traynor to test drive. Since I already have the Vox cleans at my disposal, I am leaning to the "American" cleans.

Bedroom level volume capability is a plus, thanks for that nugget.

Go Chargers. (OT off)

7. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

The YCS-40 has a great clean channel. Very warm and Fendery. The 20 is a lot grittier. It's got a good sting to it, like a good blues amp. Not the best choice for pristine clean, but a good sounding amp none the less.

8. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

+1 on the YCV50 blue. I owned one for two years. Great amp....just too much amp for what I needed. I've gravitated to single channel amps (except for the Bambino). The master volume is great and the effects loop and very nice spring reverb tank round out a great package for very little cash. Nice EL-34 tones...

I didn't find much use for the "boost" on the overdrive channel...too much of a volume jump and a bit harsh, no matter how I retubed it. The basic two channels were, however, fantastic. Ships with a Vintage 30...which sounds great broken in, but I preferred it with a G12H30 type speaker.

9. jmcorey

jmcorey Supporting Member

YCV-40 has fendery cleans for sure.